Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi there,

It's my brothers birthday in a couple of weeks and we would like to buy an iMac that works with these windows games (I'll post more when I get home, I'm on my iPod now):

- The Sims 2 and various expansion packs
- star wars battlefront II
- Lego starwars 1&2
- splinter cell
- star wars republic commando

So my question is... Which iMac is required to play these Windows games? Are the graphic specs up to scratch on the iMac?

I really appretiate your help,
Ams.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Are the graphic specs up to scratch on the iMac?

In a word - no. Apple has never been known to produce computers with up to date graphics chips and the current iMacs are no exception. The chips they use for graphics are incredibly outdated or underpowered.

If your brother's primary use of the computer will be for games then look somewhere other than Apple. You could build a computer which would destroy the iMac in graphical performance for less than half of its price.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
In a word - no. Apple has never been known to produce computers with up to date graphics chips and the current iMacs are no exception. The chips they use for graphics are incredibly outdated or underpowered.

If your brother's primary use of the computer will be for games then look somewhere other than Apple. You could build a computer which would destroy the iMac in graphical performance for less than half of its price.

Read the post before you reply; look at the games he wants to play.

The iMac will be more than adequate. Including the base model.

Blair230

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
You should be fine with the MBP. Might not be able to max out the settings fully but should be able to play on high settings.

Bootcamp of course.

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
just to give you a bit of info on the graphics power of an iMac; Top of the range model (with 4Gb of RAM, not 8) will run Call of Duty 4 on full graphics flawlessly. They are powerful machines.

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
Thanks guys for the responses, I really appreciate them.
So I think I'm going to go for the 2.93GHz iMac... Sounds good enough, no?

Once again, thanks.

Ams.

amazing choice. it will be slightly future proof as well. but i would suggest an upgrade to the ati card if u have the cash

MacHipster

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago/London/Sydney
Wait!

Are you asking whether his games (for the PC) will work directly on an iMac? The answer is no. He'll need a copy of windows to do so via Bootcamp or Parallels or Fusion. Assuming this is what he'll be doing, then they will work fine.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yeah, uh, just to be clear. You'll need a copy of windows to install on the iMac in order to run those games. The hardware itself should be plenty, but you'll need to dual boot it or obtain Mac versions of those games.*

*I have no idea if Mac versions exist for those games.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Yeah I appreciate that, and I had looked at these, but for what he needs I think the 2.93Ghz model will be fine. The bigger screen is a plus and so is 4GB of RAM out of the box.

Ams.
Oh, sorry. I thought you were looking to get one with the 9400m.

Yeah, for sure get the 2.93 machine. Good choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.