Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
jiggie2g said:
Could this maybe Provoke Apple further into Porting the real thing on Windows?

iLife's purpose is to sell more Macs, period. iTunes was an exception for the sake of iPod and iTMS - there was an overwhelmingly profittable section of the market apple couldn't do without and any "lost" switchers due to iTunes being offered for Windows could be offset by the sale of iPods.

as long as apple doesn't sell digital cameras, digital camcorders or iDVD specific dvd burners, there's absolutely no incentive for apple to port the rest of iLife.

the program itself looks like a good move on Roxio's part...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i dont ever think apple will port iLife over to windows, and if they did it would be the end of apple - iLife is another reason for people to buy Macs, and apple needs the sale of Macs to keep it alive. Apple cannot survive on software sales alone, so if you were to port iLife over to another platform you would be ending one of the major incentives for using a Mac...ect ect ect

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
It would definitely be a mistake to port iLife completely. But they could release free "lite" versions (i.e. limited versions) of iPhoto and iMovie for Windows as a bait for Windows user and make them switch. I know, it's not going to happen because it's not as easy as it sounds but it would be a great move. :)

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
ugh...iLife sucks. who cares. nothing like using software that's so simple it makes me feel like i have no control.

go pro. :D

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
briankonar said:
ugh...iLife sucks. who cares. nothing like using software that's so simple it makes me feel like i have no control.

go pro. :D

That's the whole point of the product, herr power user. I doubt my 80 year old mom would want FCP or AVID, but she sure can use iLife. Life, for some, is too short to "have control" (or be controlled)... they just want it to work without spending a goodly portion of your time just discovering what the 200 buttons mean in a pro product. Hell, I'm pretty smart, but FCP was a nightmare to learn, and I still have issues on making someting watchable. So the verdict: Use your pro products, and let the vast majority of users in the country get something done.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Les Kern said:
That's the whole point of the product, herr power user. I doubt my 80 year old mom would want FCP or AVID, but she sure can use iLife. Life, for some, is too short to "have control" (or be controlled)... they just want it to work without spending a goodly portion of your time just discovering what the 200 buttons mean in a pro product. Hell, I'm pretty smart, but FCP was a nightmare to learn, and I still have issues on making someting watchable. So the verdict: Use your pro products, and let the vast majority of users in the country get something done.
i use final cut pro when i can't avoid it... i've done entire weddings in imovies and saved myself alot of time + strain. even though i know how to use fcp, i pefer imovie for fast slap and pack content creation.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
carbonmotion said:
i use final cut pro when i can't avoid it... i've done entire weddings in imovies and saved myself alot of time + strain.

Same here. I have to say FCP is (in my humble opinion) one of the top 25 apps of all time, and I use it when I want some of the capabilities not found in iM. But I'll also say in the same breath that iMove is ALSO in the top 25.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
id like to just point out that despite some good reviews from the corporate monkeys that reviewed it, cNet shows only 50% of customers recomended it. At PC Mag many customers gave it the lowest rating...from a quick glance near 50%. to me that is not a good product. one guy said it never would burn a CD and always locked up his system so he is trying to get his 100$ back. not sure ive ever heard any of the iApps locking down someones entire system and if anyone were to ever return it to Apple (which i doubt) they didnt spend 100$ on it to start with.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
uhlawboi80 said:
id like to just point out that despite some good reviews from the corporate monkeys that reviewed it, cNet shows only 50% of customers recomended it. At PC Mag many customers gave it the lowest rating...from a quick glance near 50%. to me that is not a good product. one guy said it never would burn a CD and always locked up his system so he is trying to get his 100$ back. not sure ive ever heard any of the iApps locking down someones entire system and if anyone were to ever return it to Apple (which i doubt) they didnt spend 100$ on it to start with.

Not to sound like a corporate monkey but i didn't bother to comment b4 on the customer reviews because , a huge majority of them never even tried the product and are just being spiteful because of prior Roxio products that turned out to be Lemons. Kinda like those idiots on Cnet who push the iPod rating to below 50% with stupid one line replys like " iPod sucks" . even though they may have never even tried one . some stupid force in the universe caused them to just decide to trash a product with out even trying it 1st.

as for those who did have a Legitimate problem with the software it seemed like there was a Issue previously that has now ben corrected with a downloadable patch from Roxio.

I just hate that type of stupidity and ignorance from people and simply feel that if you don't own or have not tired any product for yourself, you have no right to trash it and should just shut up.(Speaking in General)

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I don't know about you guys, but from the screenshots Roxio EMC 7's interface doesn't look as easy-to-use and just as generally as nice as Apple's iApps. And were the heck is the GarageBand equivelant in it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.