Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I need help with the new slingbox app. I can't log in b/c I can't find my slingbox id.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Log into your desktop Sling Player software and you'll find the Slingbox ID there. The iPhone app even has instructions on how to locate your ID.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Log into your desktop Sling Player software and you'll find the Slingbox ID there. The iPhone app even has instructions on how to locate your ID.

I didn't realize there was desktop software. I just downloaded the app from the app store. Where do I get the desktop software?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

How did you ever watch your Slingbox without software?

You get it at slingmedia.com. Do you even have a Slingbox? Sure doesn't sound like it.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

How did you ever watch your Slingbox without software?

You get it at slingmedia.com. Do you even have a Slingbox? Sure doesn't sound like it.

You're right. I've never had slingbox. I just got it for my iPhone. I've never used it before. Do I still need to download software off the Internet or just the app from the app store? I can't find my id bc I've never had one.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD

You need actual hardware, do you have that? Slingbox devices start at about $150.

I don't think you can configure a Slingbox without desktop software first. Just follow the instructions that came with the device.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
wow :eek:

You're right. I've never had slingbox. I just got it for my iPhone. I've never used it before. Do I still need to download software off the Internet or just the app from the app store? I can't find my id bc I've never had one.

aG1

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Cali
ill pay someone $5 a month if they share their slingbox id with me so i can use it on my iphone if i buy the app

email me at arsenal707@me.com if interested
we can talk

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I don't think anyone's going to take $5 to allow you to have complete control over their TV. Plus if you're Slinging it, then they can't (at the same time).

aG1

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Cali
fine how about $10/month until i get my own slingbox and ill only use it when not in use

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I figured out last week that I needed to download the desktop software along with the iphone app from the app store. I'm new to slingbox so I didn't realize I needed the desktop software to use the iphone app. On a side note, I love the application and can see myself using it a lot when I travel (airports, hotels, etc).

marcelo002

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Owego, NY
I figured out last week that I needed to download the desktop software along with the iphone app from the app store. I'm new to slingbox so I didn't realize I needed the desktop software to use the iphone app. On a side note, I love the application and can see myself using it a lot when I travel (airports, hotels, etc).

Umm, just to make sure you (and others) understand, you need hardware, along with the iphone app. The iPhone app connects to the hardware that you buy. You plug in the slingbox ..err... box to the tv/cable box/tivo/etc and connect the slingbox to the internet. You use the desktop software to configure the settings of the hardware that you need to have. Not trying to be condescending, but I'm trying to prevent people from paying $30 and then not getting what they expected.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Umm, just to make sure you (and others) understand, you need hardware, along with the iphone app. The iPhone app connects to the hardware that you buy. You plug in the slingbox ..err... box to the tv/cable box/tivo/etc and connect the slingbox to the internet. You use the desktop software to configure the settings of the hardware that you need to have. Not trying to be condescending, but I'm trying to prevent people from paying $30 and then not getting what they expected.

Yes, I understand I need the hardware. I have it and am successfully running slingbox on my iPhone. I thought I only needed the hardware and iPhone app. I later realized I also needed the desktop software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.