Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNET highlights Email 'n Walk [App Store, Free for a Limited Time], a new application that utilizes the iPhone's camera and a transparent window to allow users to compose e-mails while keeping an eye on what's going on front of them.

The idea is simple: start up Email 'n Walk, type in your subject, and start typing a message. While you write, Email 'n Walk uses your iPhone camera to show you what's in front of you so you don't run into anyone. I took it for a test run outside our offices here in San Francisco and even though it felt a little silly, the app works as advertised. When you're done, hit send and you'll be transferred to the iPhone mail app to add recipients and send your e-mail.

As the application's developers note, users should obviously observe caution while using the application and remain aware of what is going on around them at all times. While the application could certainly be of some use while stationary or possibly walking, attempting to use the application while biking or driving, for example, would be incredibly unwise, needless to say.

Article Link: Email 'n Walk: Keeping an Eye on What's in Front of You

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Lol, whatever next!?! At first I thought 'how would seeing the ground I'm walking on help me?' Then I realised you'd need to hold it in front of you...

Slow day for me.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Although this would take away the fun of bumping into people, it's a pretty good idea. Gotta love it when people try and find solutions to problems. Even silly ones like walking and emailing. :D

Rootman

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Miami
This is great. I notice while I'm driving I have to keep looking up and that makes me misspell sometimes.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Are you seriously so busy that you don't have a second to stop and write your e-mail?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
use the camera & an app at the same time?

You can use the camera in your app. You just can't silently take pictures without prompting the user if they want to keep it or delete it. This app follows all the rules, unless it's randomly taking pictures without letting the user know.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Who holds their phone vertically in front of them whilst emailing people?

as opposed to holding it horizontally or upside down? I think its a great idea, just couldnt see myself using it. I've taught myself to touch type and can now type without looking. Quick read through at the end to check for mistakes and send!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
How long until we hear about someone run over by a bus while using this? :rolleyes:

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Downloading right now, but part of me wishes they were initially charging for this. I want to show my support for developers who actually are identifying problems (albeit small in this case) and coming up with solutions. I'm not as impressed with the actual app as I am with the fact that someone took the time to think through things. (unlike 90% of the apps on the App Store)

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Downloading now. I will give it a try. It is a great idea. I just hope people really don't try this too much while driving. :eek: It may seem like it might work out ok, but I don't think it is such a good idea. Walking is ok though.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Its a really innovative app and quite a smart idea. How much use its got I don't know but I would think that using that app must eat battery!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.