Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
This is killing me...

I have these Numbers files but need to send them to someone who is using a pc with MS Excel. She won't be able to read the files if they are left as .numbers.

The odd thing is that I have successfully saved some of the files as .xls and .xls.xls and even some as .xls.numbers.

However, I have lost data when doing some of these savings - I have been taking the .numbers file and trying to save it as .xls but when I open the newly-saved file there's nothing there.

Please look at the attached snapshot of my folder structure. Can you anything in there that might be causing my problem? The red arrows are just to highlight the ones I'm particularly interested in.

tia.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 795

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
How are you "saving as"? Which version of Numbers are you using '09, or '08?

In the '09 version to save as XLS you "export". There are two ways to export. On the menu bar (at the very top of your monitor) there is a "Share" option. Choose that then Export. Or, File, then Export.

Try that and see if does what you want.

Good Luck

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Hi

I'm using '09 Numbers.

I have tried the two ways you suggest to Export - in fact using the export method I get these files as pdfs which, although they give the information, it doesn't appear to be in a format that could be manipulated.

On the other hand, using the Share method, I have been able to send the file and the file appears to be an intact Excel file. I have to wait until my friend replies to see if it's any good for her. I have Excel on my old xp laptop, but getting files on to it isn't too straight forward right now, but otherwise I would check it myself.

Anyway, I think you're onto the solution, thank you. I need to see if I can send a folder of Numbers sheets in this Share manner.

:)

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Hmm, using the Share method seems to strip everything out of the sheet.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 506
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.