Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference only a few weeks away, a larger number of rumors are starting to appear about what Apple might have in store for us. While legitimate reports do often emerge closer to the event, there also tends to be an explosion of speculative claims.

Here are a collection of recent tidbits which may or may not mean anything:

- A Telecom NZ representative claimed via Twitter that "we are in negotiations with Apple... we are very focused on the 3rd gen iPhone.. we will keep u updated". The "3rd gen iPhone", of course, would refer to an as-yet unreleased iPhone.
- Apple recruiting 450 new technical support staff this summer. While the most likely explanation for this expansion is the growing popularity of their products, some are speculating it could be related to the launch of a new product.
- Wired recaps some poorly sourced rumors that claim the next iPhone will be released on July 17th with 1.5x the battery life and an OLED screen. We aren't putting too much faith in these reports.

Phil Schiller will be giving the 2009 WWDC Keynote on June 8th at 10AM Pacific Time. Apple will be detailing iPhone 3.0 to developers and has also been rumored to be announcing details about the next generation iPhone.

Article Link: iPhone Rumors Accelerate as WWDC Approaches: TelecomNZ, Support Staff, Possible Specs?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
good chances to see OLED screen

I am mainly looking for more battery life
OLED would be utterly amazing - super high def, and would be much more battery efficient as well - greater battery life will be essential, especially for movie editing.

Andruw91

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Connecticut
Sounds like my first iphone is shaping up to be pretty good, even if not everything on the list is actually on the phone. Going to get one no matter what

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
OLED would be utterly amazing - super high def, and would be much more battery efficient as well - greater battery life will be essential, especially for movie editing.

the resolution probably won't change..

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Well if nothing else, I can't imagine we're not going to get an iPhone hardware update. And though some of the current rumors seem outlandish, it has been a couple years since the first iPhone, and the popularity is ever-growing. Seems like by version 3 of hardware you have to start making some serious breakthroughs to keep attention. And we all know that's just what Apple loves to do. ;)

wanion

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Hamilton, New Zealand
Who the hell is Telecom NZ?

You could click the link you quoted, but here's a paste anyway, directly from Twitter:
Name Telecom New Zealand
Location New Zealand
Bio The Official Twitter for Telecom New Zealand Limited (Needing a name behind the logo, could be a few of us, but pick Neil Forster if you need just one)

It's a phone company. Currently only Vodafone has iPhones in NZ, because Telecom had a CDMA (as opposed to GSM) network. They're launching a UMTS/WCDMA/whatever you want to call it network in about a week, so will finally be able to support the iPhone 3G (which I suspect is what they're actually referring to - not a new version).

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
At first I thought these rumors were leaks by someone in Apple to take some steam away from the Palm Pre release announcement today.

Now I wonder if this is a leak by Palm itself....
Clearly, they are going after Apple with the Pre, and are prepared to fight via marketing as well (they are releasing the Palm Pre 2 days before WWDC!)

The iPhone 3 specs like OLED, 1.5x battery life, super camera, faster, sleeker, etc.... may be falsely rising expectations for the iPhone 3 so that when it is announced there will be a lot of disappointment.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
OLED seems a little doubtful just because I'm not sure the technology is ready, but that would be really, really sweet.

Sony's new line of Walkman's have OLEDs so it could be possible. It would be a great help in improving battery life. It could potentially allow background apps coupled with new processors and more RAM.

It may be a slim chance but it would be nice if Apple did it. The only thing that gives me pause about it is that there would be a large shipment of these screens and chances are word would have got out.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Saw the Wired Article Earlier today but wasn't impressed by the specs.

OLED? I don't think so.

Apple logo on back will glow... I started laughing!

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Sony's new line of Walkman's have OLEDs so it could be possible. It would be a great help in improving battery life. It could potentially allow background apps coupled with new processors and more RAM.

It may be a slim chance but it would be nice if Apple did it. The only thing that gives me pause about it is that there would be a large shipment of these screens and chances are word would have got out.

But manufacturing millions of OLED screens? I'm not sure suppliers are really ready for that (otherwise they'd drain all stock for a good while, OLED isn't that mainstream yet).

Jono Hayes

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
Telecom New Zealand

Who the hell is Telecom NZ?

Telecom is New Zealand's largest ISP and cellphone carrier.

there are only two cellphone carriers in New Zealand.

Vodafone witch already has the iphone 3G

AND telecom

Telecom only has a CDMA network.
But this coming week is lunching there new GSM / "wana be geeky WCDMA" network ?

:)

im form New Zealand

"Telecom will more than likey geting the new iPhone in mid june. seems pointless for apple to give telecom the iPhone 3g. when vodafone is already selling it and and cant even get stock"

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
But manufacturing millions of OLED screens? I'm not sure suppliers are really ready for that (otherwise they'd drain all stock for a good while, OLED isn't that mainstream yet).

Sony probably has made millions for their Walkman. I'm just assuming that while sales overseas may be modest, Sony must still sell well at home in Japan.

I forgot where Sony gets their screens though I believe it is Samsung. Apple could have have bought screens from either Samsung or LG. Maybe both. Apple has been know for a long time of draining a company's stock of something. Heck, they continually cause flash shortages around the world every year. It's also possible that OLEDs could be reserved for the "Pro" line of iPhones while the regular have LCDs.

This is just conjecture. The chances are less than 50/50 but it's not out of the realm of possibility especially if Apple is constantly worrying about battery life.

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
Telecom is New Zealand's largest ISP and cellphone carrier.

there are only two cellphone carriers in New Zealand.

Vodafone witch already has the iphone 3G

AND telecom

Telecom only has a CDMA network.
But this coming week is lunching there new GSM network ? XT Network

:)

im form New Zealand

Ok, cool.

Thanks.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
1.5 times the battery life and a Oled screen? Next-Generation iPhone, you are mine!

PurdueBio

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Rumors

I think these "rumors" show that no one really has any idea what is going on, and people are just thinking up random crap.

Personally, I think the lack of any believable information at this point shows that WWDC is going to be pretty uneventful (by the standards of most) Just more involved promos of 3.0 and 10.6....which I am looking forward to.

Anyway here are the rumors I have heard:

Apple will be releasing a new iPhone with a unibody case carved out of pure platinum (the shavings are thrown away, not recycled). The screen will be carved out of pure diamond. The internal components will be all hand made by virgins. Each unit will be blessed by the dalai lama. The power cord that ships with the phone is not covered in rubber, but by the wing skin of terradactyl that were genetically engineered in a process similar to that in Jurassic Park. Each animal provides for only one cord, or else that would be cheap. It will come with a dock carved out of elephant tusks. The battery will run on power from stem cells. Also, it will not have a name, but will be known only by a symbol because it is too worthy to be called by a name. Each phone will have its own dedicated GPS satellite. It will be free.

If they don't at least come through on those features I am done with apple. I will just go back to my razr.

drewsky5

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
Amazing.

I think these "rumors" show that no one really has any idea what is going on, and people are just thinking up random crap.

Personally, I think the lack of any believable information at this point shows that WWDC is going to be pretty uneventful (by the standards of most) Just more involved promos of 3.0 and 10.6....which I am looking forward to.

Anyway here are the rumors I have heard:

Apple will be releasing a new iPhone with a unibody case carved out of pure platinum (the shavings are thrown away, not recycled). The screen will be carved out of pure diamond. The internal components will be all hand made by virgins. Each unit will be blessed by the dalai lama. The power cord that ships with the phone is not covered in rubber, but by the wing skin of terradactyl that were genetically engineered in a process similar to that in Jurassic Park. Each animal provides for only one cord, or else that would be cheap. It will come with a dock carved out of elephant tusks. The battery will run on power from stem cells. Also, it will not have a name, but will be known only by a symbol because it is too worthy to be called by a name. Each phone will have its own dedicated GPS satellite. It will be free.

If they don't at least come through on those features I am done with apple. I will just go back to my razr.

I actually heard that too. It must be true...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.