Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RogueMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Hey all,
i currently host about 100 domains and a email server for those domains on an older dell poweredge 2650 running Redhat AS that needs replacing. one of my bosses wants to get another dell server and it priced out to be the same as a new Xserve. I would much rather have an Xserve than a dell any day. Would this be an easy migration? would moving web sites from Linux Apache, php, and MySql to Os X server be a problem?

thanks in advance.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
It might be more trouble than it's worth. If you already have the previous RedHat install all configured and you're used to how it's laid out then it's going to be FAR simple just to move your data and configuration files over an a new RH install. If you go with the Mac OS X server you are going to have to get used to a new administration interface and most, if not all, of your existing configuration will either need to be adjusted or just not work at all.

RogueMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I'm really wanting to move away from the cmd line environment with the linux box we have now. Although i'm a webmaster now i come from a design back ground so i thought OSX server would be a good route to go.
But i called apple sales today to talk to them about it and they connected me with an engineer. He said osx server would make a great web server and then he asked me how many domains i had. i told him about 100 and he said that the GUI for administering web domains in osx server would start to break down with that many domains but it could be done with cmd line. can anyone confirm this? he said it would be great for about 30-50 domains, but i had to many for 10.5 and that maybe 10.6 snow leopard would address these problems and i should wait.
it seems like they are about to give up on their server business. you can't even find an Xserve on the store home page.

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
My hosting company used to use Ubuntu servers until we switched to Leopard Server. I love using Server Admin instead of endless .conf files :D

I'll warn you that Xserves are a tad noisy though...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 205

RogueMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
My hosting company used to use Ubuntu servers until we switched to Leopard Server. I love using Server Admin instead of endless .conf files :D

I'll warn you that Xserves are a tad noisy though...

that looks nice. very mac, just the way i like it.
maclover what do you mean by noisy?

troy.w.banther

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2009
Portales, NM
Linux web and mail server migration to OS X 10.5 server?

Anyone currently hosting web and-or mail services on a Mac server?

I would like to hear of your experiences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.