Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Sticky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK
Is it possible to export an InDesign Doc to single pages PDF's in one go, or do I need to export it as a PDF and then save it into individual single page PDF's with Adobe Acrobat Pro?

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I'm not familiar with the latest versions of InDesign (I use CS2 primarily) but it would probably be easiest to save them as individual PDF's in Acrobat after the fact. It adds another step, but it's a very easy step that isn't too time consuming.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
While exporting you can specify the page range… So theoretically you could, but it would be better to split it in Acrobat.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,134

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
You could probably write an AppleScript that would first ask the number of pages then go through a loop exporting page by page into a folder.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Am I right in thinking that the OP has been asked to supply a multi-page document as single files for some sort of automatic imposition workflow?

This used to happen to me with a magazine I worked on - I found the only way to generate PDF-X1a compliant single page files was to create each one individually from InDesign. Going through Acrobat and splitting the file into pages actually breaks the PDF-X compliance, which will throw up an error when the files get pre-flighted.

2Sticky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK
I need to send a monthly newsletter/mag to the printers, its 32 pages. They want the pages as single PDF pages/files.

So when I export from InDesign its just one PDF file with all the pages, so do I split it up in Acrobat, or is there another way?

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Here's an InDesign script plug-in that allows a multi-page document to be exported as single PDFs as you need... I haven't tried it, but it's recommended on this video podcast (starts talking about it half way through the movie).

I believe you have to download the script file from the first link above, then import it into InDesign before it can be used.

That would seem to answer your question - good luck! :D

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
What would be really useful would be the ability to store the name of each page eg Contents, Page 1, etc or A4 poster, A3 poster, DL card etc. so that these become the filename after export. At the moment I use the extract function in Acrobat which quickly products single pages from a PDF, but I'll have to rename them for my and the clients sake.

2Sticky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK
Hey guys, thanks for your help.

I managed to find a script for InDesign which will do it, so shall give that a go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.