Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
What I want to know is, how did they ever come up with knowing that it can download the Kama Sutra, among all the thousands of books on that service. How did they even know that one was available, without running huge keyword searches or something looking for it? It sounds like an excuse to me. I'm wondering what the real reason is.

ethen

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
I'm getting tired of Apple's treatment towards apps developer. Again, apple has too much power over dev apps distribution

Aron Peterson

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
North Carolina
A lovemaking book is questionable content according to the Fruit Company's app reviewer. Will Apple remove religious books from the App Store for recommending and condoning slavery, stoning, xenophobia and polygamy?

Last edited:

fc4090

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
I just checked back, I can easily download and read kamasutra and other extreme erotic ebooks in Kindle, Stanza and Shortcovers apps. I don't believe there's any authenticity in this rumor.
Seems like subtle advertising is performed through this rumor.
I am no way going to purchase this $9.99 app. People who are interested to spend their hard-earned money for reading free books can now get this app in apple app store. Yes, it is released already and two fake reviews also been posted.

CharBroiled20s

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2009
Obviously, there are flaws in the approval process. And yes, Apple is being silly when they can just slap a 18+ warning on apps.

But at the same time, I am sick and tired of every developer with a rejected app blogging and creating threads in the hopes of gaining attention. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to get rejected on purpose so they can complain later for the free attention/publicity.

Good god, stop being so assy!

These developers pour anywhere from hundreds to thousands of hours into their apps! The least Apple can do is give them a concise reason for the rejection & adopt a balanced, fair & explicitly defined set of rejection terms. Instead they J. These developers off with meaningless form letters via email & leave virtually no recourse... If it weren't for their pesky blog posts you wouldn't hear anything about these rejections at all!

But here you sit poopooing the only only outlet for frustration they have.. Way to ignore the core problem & place the onus on the developers instead of acknowledging the core issue...

The approval process is too subjective

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Umm.. Where is Steve Jobs on this issue?

I know he's busy pulling a vintage Dick Cheney (hidden in the bunker and all), but I'd like to know his take on these stupid censorship decisions. Does he approve? Does he even have any say? I'd think the big man at Apple would have some sway into what is going on.

This is all I have to say. I was a lifelong Windows user until I got so fed up with MS and Bill Gates and I switched to the Mac in 2005. I didn't ever think I would leave Windows. Now, I'm getting fed up with Apple. I don't think I could ever leave Apple because the software/hardware setup is just so much more superior than any PC with Windows I can buy. Having said that, Windows 7 looks pretty good and Apple keeps pissing me off.

What is Apple afraid of? Getting sued by some granny in Nebraska when she finds out her grandchild is having sex thanks to the Kama Sutra? Apple has $29 billion in the bank, let it put it's money where it's mouth is and pay for the risk and innovation that their technologies bring.

I don't want Apple to appeal to the masses. I want them to appeal to the small, strong, and loyal group that makes them who they are, that' buy's their products. I don't care who they offend with freedom of speech, and neither should Apple.

If this kind of stuff is happening when Steve Jobs is still there, just on leave, just think what will happen when he is no longer with Apple. This is pretty scary. Obviously, there are people in Apple who don't share Steve's views. These people are running the ship right now.

What's next, Apple is going to have control over 3rd party desktop software as well? Beware, this slippery slope can get messy. More people own Macs than iPhones, why not control the Mac too?

I think the worm is eating out the Apple from the inside. I only forsee bad things.

Bryan

highmarcs

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2006
This Is Un-Apple Like!

Why would Apple want to be in the business of determining what is "objectional content"?

I've always thought of Apple as a very liberal, progressive, modern California-esque company.

Actions like these are way...uncool and make Apple seem like it's run by a bunch of evangelical busybodies from Alabama or Mississippi, who want to regulate the "morals" of everyone else!

Apple has always stood out to me as "The Cool" California hipster company. Actions like this are anything but. Perhaps California is changing, I mean, they did manage to pass Prop 8 while the East Coast is busy granting marriage equality.

The Kama-Sutra is a CLASSIC piece of literature Apple. Please stop acting like some backwards Jesus Freak school marms from the deep South.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Why would Apple want to be in the business of determining what is "objectional content"?

I've always thought of Apple as a very liberal, progressive, modern California-esque company.

Actions like these are way...uncool and make Apple seem like it's run by a bunch of evangelical busybodies from Alabama or Mississippi, who want to regulate the "morals" of everyone else!

Apple has always stood out to me as "The Cool" California hipster company. Actions like this are anything but. Perhaps California is changing, I mean, they did manage to pass Prop 8 while the East Coast is busy granting marriage equality.

The Kama-Sutra is a CLASSIC piece of literature Apple. Please stop acting like some backwards Jesus Freak school marms from the deep South.

Apple wants to be the Moral Police lately. I agree their recent acts of censorship are very "un-californian" and non-progressive.

golden3159

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Because they find it to be a private/personal thing that they do not want to promote, I respect them for that because it runs along side my beliefs. :)

Because that's the main purpose of the application, right?

Ugh...can people like you please go to a remote island and never have any contact with the rest of humanity? Seriously, you don't belong with normal people if you get offended so easily.

tjam

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
question

so if i use these free reader apps, where can i download the free books? are there newer books available for free download?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.