Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switcher3365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I am using Pages '08. This task was pretty simple in MS Word but I can't duplicate it in pages.

I am trying to use bullets with long text. I want the additional lines of text with that bullet to be indented so that all of the text lines up vertically. Here's an example. (The line represents the empty space I would like to have. The website won't allow me to demonstrate the issue properly, which is like the problem I am having with Pages).

* dkfdjk dfjsh fjd
__skdhfhdfjskj s

Pages will not let me move the second line so that it lines up with the text above it. I've tried moving the ruler around, but it moves the entire bulleted text over and not just the bottom line. I've used the space bar as well, and it won't move the text at all.

Any solutions?

yatz

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
Open Inspector

Text Inspector

List

Adjust Text Indent (toggle between bullets and no bullets)

villageindian

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
First type the text and split as two lines. For the second line, do the following.

Go to inspector, then go to the options to insert bullets under "List" in the "T" icon. Under the bullets menu option, there is text indent. Set that to 0 and it should line up under the same main point. You can also enter a number to get it at the exact position. Play with the numbers until you get the text where you want it. Also, remove the bullet point for the second point so that it doesn't show as a separate point.

Just ensure that the bullet point that you want is of a lower indent level (2 or greater). This can be set above the bullets menu with the indent level.

I am using Pages '08. This task was pretty simple in MS Word but I can't duplicate it in pages.

I am trying to use bullets with long text. I want the additional lines of text with that bullet to be indented so that all of the text lines up vertically. Here's an example. (The line represents the empty space I would like to have. The website won't allow me to demonstrate the issue properly, which is like the problem I am having with Pages).

* dkfdjk dfjsh fjd
__skdhfhdfjskj s

Pages will not let me move the second line so that it lines up with the text above it. I've tried moving the ruler around, but it moves the entire bulleted text over and not just the bottom line. I've used the space bar as well, and it won't move the text at all.

Any solutions?

switcher3365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Thank you for your help. It worked. I think the issue was that this file started as a Word file when I was on a PC, so I was having some compatibility issues when it came to transferring bullet formatting from Word to Pages. I pretty much have to type the text again and do the bullets from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.