Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
So my girlfriend and I are planning on having a 24 hour movie fest this weekend and I need some suggestions of films to watch as I will be heading down to rent them before then.

So far we have a mixture of genres from chick flick (Sex and the city) to thriller (Taken) so each of us could possibly fall asleep during a film!

Im looking for some good comedies and generally good and interesting films.

I am open to pretty much anything on DVD fairly new as I haven't really been to the cinema for a few years (maybe once or twice).

Any suggestions would be good to get the creative juices flowing!

Thanks

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
That's a lot of movie watching.

Nevertheless, I recommend Christopher Guest movies (Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind etc). All funny, and there's about 10 hours...

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Star wars definitely if your doing the 24hr marathon. Watching all 6 of those took at least 8 + hours.

The Matrix Trilogy
Blade Movies there is 3
Harry Potter Movies

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Lord of the Rings extended versions will chew up about 10-12 hours.

Lord of the rings will lose her interest I reckon.

Harry Potter on the other hand will keep her entertained for hours. Might be a chance for me to get some kip.

Thought I might chuck in superbad there somewhere.

These suggestions are helpful though! Thanks!

She has also requested some scary films. You know proper poop your pants and before you say the orphanage those dang subtitles do my head in! ha

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Get through as many James Bond movies as you can, in order. Lots of fun and the series can go on as long as you can stand it :)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
scream 1-3
halloween movies
saw movies
28 days later and then 28 weeks later
the hannibal movies
the shining (original and remake)

just some scary movies off top of my head

oh yea, the jason movies are good

also, for a fun again
jurrassic par 1-3
teenage mutant ninja turtles 1-3

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
We do theme marathons a lot. Like now I'm in L.A. so all my movies have to be about or have some scenes set in L.A. (Currently watching "Down and Out in Beverly Hills", followed by "Beverly Hills Chihuahua", preceded by "Mulholland Drive").

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I've also done zombie movie marathons...just lots of zombie movies in series. Gets a little more variety into the mix than a homogeneous series.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can't tell you what you should watch but I would propose these to my girlfriend-

South Park Movie
Quadrophenia
That'll be the Day
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Donnie Darko

Hers would likely be Stargate, some Ghibli, X-Men 1 and 2, Spiderman series.
My fave genre is end-of-the-world movies but thats not something I'd sit down and watch back to back!

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Slumdog Millionaire and Taken are DVD's that I picked up the other day. I've watched both, but my parents/brother didn't watch them yet. So yeah. I highly recommend both of them :)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
All the star wars, Final Fantasy Advent Children.

If you a ran of utopian gone -wrong-sorta film I'd suggest Children of Men and well as V for Vendetta.

Girl Mean is a good satire of high schoolers.

The Weatherman w/ Nicolas change is a movie about a guy having a tough time with family, but its a good watch.

Match Stickmen, its about con men and what happens when his daughter find him

The Dark Knight is worth a watch too!

Zombie movies you could look 28 Days Later and 28 weeks later. Not normal slow moving zombies, but cool never the less

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
The Ring. Or, if you're into subtitles, the original Ringu (Japanese). There's a sequel to the American version, too.

SAW? Hostel? ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Airplane! because it's such a funny film.

Oh my yes!
I'd probably stick the whole Die Hard quadrilogy on mine too, but interspersed with other films.
The National Treasure films aren't too shabby either.

Actually I might put this film marathon plan into action myself :D.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Some suggestions...

Lost In Translation
American History X
Monty Python's The Life of Brian
Spaceballs
Zoolander
Old School
Meet the Parents
Children of Men
Cast Away
Team American: World Police

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.