Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hisuplol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Well I would like some advice as to what to do in this situation.

Last night I was washing the bedding and I had my iphone on my bed. I guess I was too distracted to notice that I had accidently rolled the phone into one of the blankets. So I loaded and emptied the washer with no problem. I loaded the dryer as well. I never noticed a thing. However, when I went to empty the dryer I found a surprise waiting for me... it was my iphone. Not only had it taken a spin in the washer, but also in the dryer.

Well after that incident I just tried to see what I could do to make it work... if it would even work after that beating. It did surprisingly enough. Everything seemed to work fine however it was kinda sluggish so I decided to put it in rice and let it dry up. I left it there for 24 hours. It did the trick I sucked the moister out of the LCD. all the sensors work its all good.

Except for the camera. There is no fog or water in the lens. When I go to turn it on the phone just shut down and restarts. There is no error message or anything it just restarts.

So the question is could it just be that it needs to dry some more? or Is the camera definitively broken? How much help do you guys think the guys at the genius bar would offer me? Because as of now I'm in a lose / loser situation without a phone and with out the cash to get a refurb.

I hope I can get some help from anyone please I'm desperate at this point.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
So the question is could it just be that it needs to dry some more? or Is the camera definitively broken? How much help do you guys think the guys at the genius bar would offer me? Because as of now I'm in a lose / loser situation without a phone and with out the cash to get a refurb.

Just walk into the Apple store and tell them your entire story

I am sure they will comfort you and tell you it was not your fault. They will probably congratulate you for the smart move of putting it into rice to remove the moisture.

After that they will probably give you a brand new 16gb iPhone 3G and a $100 gift card for all the trouble that you have gone through

/sarcasm

YOU WASHED AND DRIED YOUR IPHONE !

What do you except to happen. Those water sensors are going to be red, no way around that. Consider yourself lucky its only the camera that doesn't work.

Apple will replace your iPhone for $199 ( the out of warranty repair price)

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
....I'm in a lose / loser situation without a phone and with out the cash to get a refurb.

I hope I can get some help from anyone please I'm desperate at this point.

Um, it sounds like your lucky and everything works except for the camera. I chalk that one up as a win and go on without photo functionality. Just carry a digital camera like we did in the old days.

Plus, it's one more reason for you to get the new phone when it comes it, if you can come up with the cash.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
The phone will probably stop working before long and probably during a situation when you really need it. Just go ahead and lay out the $199 and be more careful in the future.

P. S. After washing my wallet and it's contents about 3 differnt times I now double check everything I wash. Hey, we're only human.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I would leave the device turned off and put it back in the bag of rice in a warm place for another few days. The camera and/or circuitry might not be completely dried out yet. There's a small possibility you could get lucky when it does.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Um, it sounds like your lucky and everything works except for the camera. I chalk that one up as a win and go on without photo functionality. Just carry a digital camera like we did in the old days.

Plus, it's one more reason for you to get the new phone when it comes it, if you can come up with the cash.

Agreed. I would just continue to use it as is, and see what Apple introduces at WWDC.

Demosthenes427

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Just walk into the Apple store and tell them your entire story

I am sure they will comfort you and tell you it was not your fault. They will probably congratulate you for the smart move of putting it into rice to remove the moisture.

After that they will probably give you a brand new 16gb iPhone 3G and a $100 gift card for all the trouble that you have gone through

/sarcasm

YOU WASHED AND DRIED YOUR IPHONE !

What do you except to happen. Those water sensors are going to be red, no way around that. Consider yourself lucky its only the camera that doesn't work.

Apple will replace your iPhone for $199 ( the out of warranty repair price)

Holy hell, you almost had me going there with that. I'm impressed.

@OP: What this guy said. You're pretty much screwed. Apple won't give you anything because you soaked the thing in water and then ran it through high temperatures in the dryer. Double-whammy FTL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.