Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apeacock

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
I've heard that there have been some differences between the older and newer Macbook screens - I'm thinking about buying a reburb unibody macbook and want to know how significant the difference is. If it's big enough I'll use my student discount to get a new mac with an iPod and then sell the iPod for the price difference, but that is a lot more work and initial money spent vs just getting a refurb. Does anyone have any experience with both?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
there was a thread on here with pics of the old and new one side by side.

nobody could tell the difference, and that was in a thread with everyone complaining about how bad the 'old' one was and asserting how great the 'new' one is.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
Newer screens are much better, I have both the 15" and a new 13" and new 13" is almost as good but not quite as good as my 15".

I have always slated the 13" for poor screens in the past.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I posted side-by-side pics of an older uMB (bought in November 08 w/ the 9C89 screen) and a new uMB (bought in April/May 09 w/ the 9CA5 screen) in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/694320/

You can see for yourself if you notice a difference. I personally see a difference in person when I use them both, but others may not. The newer one seems to have much deeper blacks and better contrast. I'm not sure its as good as the screens in the uMBP's but IMHO its definately a "step-up" from the original uMB screens.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
I have a 9AC5 screen, and it's better than the older MacBook I had (had to return it because there were debris under my screen).

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
IMHO the blacks look a bit better in the new ones. I originally thought the difference was a lot more than what it actually is. Also the older screen seems to have a much richer color. Its really weighing deeper black's vs Richer colors.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I went to the Apple store to see if I could find a display model with the newer screen but they were all 9C89, 9C8A, or 9C8C models. I could tell even before opening the System Preference, those screens are horrid!

Anyway I'm planning to buy a MacBook in the next couple of days and I heard that you have the best chance of getting the newer screens (9CA5, 9CA7, 9CA8) if you buy from Apple directly. Hopefully it works out.

Jigsawjammer

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
NYC
Anyway I'm planning to buy a MacBook in the next couple of days and I heard that you have the best chance of getting the newer screens (9CA5, 9CA7, 9CA8) if you buy from Apple directly. Hopefully it works out.

I never thought about that. I was just going to go to the store but maybe I better get it online. Although, I'm sure I can find a high volume store in NYC.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Judging LCD quality by viewing pictures of the LCDs taken by people who aren't even photographers with consumer gear is like judging a stereo by having your friend hold his cellphone up to each speaker.

Ridiculous.

You have to see them for yourself to judge quality.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Judging LCD quality by viewing pictures of the LCDs taken by people who aren't even photographers with consumer gear is like judging a stereo by having your friend hold his cellphone up to each speaker.

Ridiculous.

the voice of reason...

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden

Ridiculous.

Yeah, to take a couple of photos with the iPhone and then believe that it's possible to see any difference between two different panel types is quite naive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.