Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wouldyoukindly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2009
North Wales
I used YouView for a while, stand alone app for viewing videos from youtube outside of your web browser, and, for a while, it was better than watching them in safari...

However, I have recently installed CoolIris and found this a much better way to view videos on YouTube but sometimes CoolIris just decides it doesn't want to play a video so I think 'Ok, I'll just view it normally', except when i do, the browser just navigates to a blank page with 'about:blank' in the URL bar (much like it did when YouView was installed) but nothing happens, the video just won't play...

I've tried resetting and reinstalling safari 4 (as I was running) as a consequence of this I'm now having to run safari 3 (this is a problem that will be in another thread shortly) and it still doesn't work...

Any ideas... anyone... I'm getting kinda desperate now!!

Thanks in advance...

P.S. I also checked folders for some sort of YouView plugin left behind, and couldn't find anything.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
I have heard people moaning that adobe flash doesn't work well the macs, and that you need to make sure that your flash is up to date, or try to reinstall it. I never had this problem myself, but this what i have read from other threads.

Also some people say it is a safari thing (i use firefox and never had problem) so if the above doesn't work, try Firefox and see what happen

wouldyoukindly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2009
North Wales
Its not that the video just won't play... the whole page just never loads, it loads a blank page instead, and it has worked in the past.

Have tried firefox, works fine... I know its something to do with the 'YouView' program I had installed and whatever plugin it used but i have since uninstalled that and all plugins i could find that were related... still nothing!

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Even though i don't think it likely solution, have you tried disk permission repair and running Onyx? just to clean any "garbage" that maybe blocking something!

wouldyoukindly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2009
North Wales
yup, ran onyx... no luck... but hey, sometimes there is such a thing as being too smart.. just looked into the safari preferences, turns out there's a 'disable youview' button...

who'd've thought it :p

wouldyoukindly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2009
North Wales
Have since discovered a 'YouView' folder in /Library/InputManagers when deleted removes the YouView option in safari... so I'm guessing that would've worked also...

Now just the problem in my other thread, safari 4 not installing... check it out if you wouldn't mind... maybe enlighten me a little! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.