Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoolKat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2009
I got an eMac (short for educational Mac) from a friend. It is one of thesehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMac in case you want to know exactly. Anyway, I wanted to try to get some function out of it seeing as I'm a Linux guy and a windows guy, Apple is something new to play with.

My mouse no longer works with the Mac and I don't know why and for the life of me with all my experience with Win. and Linux I can't fix it. I have two that I've tried, both of them were Microsoft mouses that had worked previously but then one day they stopped. I can move around with the keyboard but the mouse is a no go. Does anyone know what I might have done to screw up a perfectly functioning mouse? I know they are connected correctly because when I plug it into the USB port the laser light comes on, problem is the cursor in the screen doesn't move. I'd appreciate any help.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I know they are connected correctly because when I plug it into the USB port the laser light comes on, problem is the cursor in the screen doesn't move. I'd appreciate any help.

From what I understand, a USB port can break down in such a way that it can still provide power, but the communication of data between device and machine can stop. Have you tried switching USB ports like using the one the keyboard is plugged into?

CoolKat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2009
From what I understand, a USB port can break down in such a way that it can still provide power, but the communication of data between device and machine can stop. Have you tried switching USB ports like using the one the keyboard is plugged into?

Thank you for your fast response!

Yes I have tried that already, the eMac has 3 USB ports and the Apple Keyboard itself has 2, all of which give me a light on both mouses and none of which allow the mouse to work.

What I don't understand is everything was working perfectly and I left the thing on all night, when I woke up the mouse no longer was working.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Yes I have tried that already, the eMac has 3 USB ports and the Apple Keyboard itself has 2, all of which give me a light on both mouses and none of which allow the mouse to work.

I had this happen with a PC once - USB ports would still provide power but the data link was "broken." Keep in mind that one USB controller on the motherboard provides both power and data pipes to multiple USB ports; if that controller goes bad, all of its ports go bad.

I don't know whether the eMac has multiple ports - I found a workaround on my old PC by plugging USB devices into the back of the computer rather than in the front.

Also, is it just the mouse that won't work, or is it everything you plug into a USB port?

Good luck!

CoolKat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2009
I had this happen with a PC once - USB ports would still provide power but the data link was "broken." Keep in mind that one USB controller on the motherboard provides both power and data pipes to multiple USB ports; if that controller goes bad, all of its ports go bad.

I don't know whether the eMac has multiple ports - I found a workaround on my old PC by plugging USB devices into the back of the computer rather than in the front.

Also, is it just the mouse that won't work, or is it everything you plug into a USB port?

Good luck!

Well there are only 3 USB's on the side and the keyboard works in one of those. If the USB's arent working then it would be extremely unlucky to have 2 ports on the computer go out and the 2 others on the keyboard itself go out.

I wonder if it is the update I tried to do before going to bed. It didnt go through because I dont have the system password, which is another issue entirely.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Well there are only 3 USB's on the side and the keyboard works in one of those. If the USB's arent working then it would be extremely unlucky to have 2 ports on the computer go out and the 2 others on the keyboard itself go out.

I wonder if it is the update I tried to do before going to bed. It didnt go through because I dont have the system password, which is another issue entirely.

Could the problem be the mouse, or mouse drivers? Have you tried any other USB devices in those ports?

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i would download intellipoint for the appropriate mouse that you have. I have a netbook Bluetooth MS 5000 mouse that i couldn't get to operate correctly (the side button would open folder/create new folders, etc) and finally found the correct intellipoint driver to download and all is fine. If that doesnt work, than it could be the USB port itself. Have you tried to plug in a jump drive to see if that works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.