Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
i recently got a unibody MBP about a month ago i guess, and it's amazing!

anyways i picked up a incase sleeve thing, it's awesome, i am sometimes worried about the zipper making scratches but that is my promary case and havent had any problems with it yet, PS there is a cloth thing inbetween where the MBP sits and the zipper... ):apple::apple:komio

o2xygen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Hello,

I just ordered a Macbook Pro and am now looking for the best way to protect it. There seems to be three choices so far:

1) Sleeve
2) Hard case
3) InvisibleSheild

I have a few concerns about the sleeves as some of the reviews on Apple.com seem to suggest that the zipper causes scratches, dents, etc.

I don't really have any concerns about the Hard case except that it may make the laptop fat or make it look ugly.

The invisible shield looks cool but seems to be a PITA to put on and I'm not sure if it will actually give the MBP any protection against anything except scratches.

I wouldnt worry about an invisible shield, I dont treat my alu MB too good and its still scratch free. I use a Gecko neoprone sleeve and dont use a laptop bag, just carry it. Its got lining on the inside of the zipper so it doesnt scratch. Make sure if you do get one, it has some lining on the zipper.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
yeah i used to have the incase sleeve and every time i inserted or took out my machine I was always worried about it touching the zipper. When its inside its safe however. I now just have an applesac that i slip in and then it goes into a messenger bag.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I have a few concerns about the sleeves as some of the reviews on Apple.com seem to suggest that the zipper causes scratches, dents, etc.
No scratches with Tucano's Second Skin range. They have a 'Anti-Slip' system which also covers the front of your Mac protecting it from getting scratched by the zippers.

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
Been using the Incase Sleeve for a couple months and so far it's great. No scratch or anything. I carry my UMBP around like everyday and am not the kind of person who babies his laptop.

killianb

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
UK
I suppose it all depends on what/how you're going to be using it. I have a UMB but I've just ordered a UMBP. I use it mainly on a little table while sat on the sofa -- I'm in a small house and have no room for a desk. However I have pets and young children and don't like to leave it out when not in use. So personally, I'm currently using an Incase zip-up bag which has room for the charger and a few peripherals. However, it's not that sturdy and if I was going to be taking it out much and carrying it around, I think I'd want more protection.

On the other end of the scale, if you do have a desk and it's mainly going to just stay there, I'd just go with one of the clip-on hard case things. I think that's what I'll get for added protecting whilst in a bag.

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont
I went with this Tucano item. As I recall I purchase it in November and I use it daily; holding up well and the UMBP is still pristine.

Neil
sml-tucano-second-skin.jpg

lapino

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
I have a Caselogic sleeve (should check , think it is that brand) and my MBP got dented on the corner when I fell off stairs (was in my backpack). After reading this, I realize the dent might've been caused by the zipper. A sleeve is fine, but it doesn't offer much protection when falling etc. Are there any sleeve-size protections that are a hard shell?

Keniff

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom

I bought my girlfriend a skin from Here for her MBP.

No zipper (apart from on pouch built right into the front) so the laptop won't get scratched, cushioned and flexible (washable), and tons of colours...

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2008
I highly recommend the second skin sleeve... they are great. If you use a wear a watch when you type, I also recommend the moshi palmgaurd. Most people cant tell that i have a palmgaurd until i tell them.

ENJOY!!!

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Been using the Incase Sleeve for a couple months and so far it's great. No scratch or anything. I carry my UMBP around like everyday and am not the kind of person who babies his laptop.

+1

No scratches, and no uglyness...

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
For my Sony Vaio I have an "old school" laptop bag. I thought nothing of stuffing it in there along with accessories. It was just a tool. Though I wasn't rough with it, I didn't treat it like fine china.

My MBP on the other hand seems to WANT me to take care of it. I treat it like something worth many times it's value. I bought a black incase neoprene sleeve from the Apple store and it's great. It's got a nice lambswool type lining. It won't protect it from anything sharp like my Vaio case would, but it keeps the dust off. Because of the internal design, the moving part of the zip is kept away from the laptop by padding. It's quite clever.

It has no handle on mine and because it's soft it's a little tricky to hold in one hand. It just stretches and you find yourself gripping the top of the case between your thumb and forefinger. It's more of an under your arm type carrying position.

I often use the incase to sit the MBP on to protect it's little bottom.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
IF you care a lot, you can make do with all 3 :)

I mean the invisibleSHIELD would prevent scratches from the shell, which would in turn protect against dropped objects. Finally the sleeve for some added padding.

Personally I'd just stick with the sleeve because the skin makes the computer feel cheap, and the shell adds unneeded bulk.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
I'd get all three, but accidents do happen, and nothing can prevent denting. Sleeves are great and pretty much essential though if you ever travel.

3rdLittlePiggie

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
Kansas City
My hands and wrists are always bear, you think it's still a good idea to prevent the palm rest from staining/wearing?

I like the hardshells but some people seem to say that they get scratched from dust/sand etc. that makes it through in between the case and the Macbook. Of course I expect Aluminum to be more durable against scratches, but does your daughter's macbook have any scratches from the case?

I haven't noticed any scratched, as of yet, I have a friend that just got a new uMBP and the hardshell as well, I'll check them out later and let you know.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I think that the Invisible Shield kind of cheapens the look. As far as the hard cases goes, I have a friend that has them on a MB and a MBP. It doesn't seem like it would add that much to the size but it really does. I was surprised at just how heavy and big it felt when I picked them up.

Personally I would go for the Skin or sleeve. If you want a sleeve that adds a little more protection look into Booq Bags. Here is a link to their 15" MBP Sleeves.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I only have experience with the incase sleeves and speck hardcases.

the incase sleeves on a bare uMBP never got scratched or anything from the zipper or keeping it in a backpack or bag.
theyre handy if you dont have a hardshell case.

the Speck cases are nice and slim..but also durable.
i like them..i got two SeeThru Satin Cases; one for a 17" uMBP and the work uMBP 15" they have nice grip so the computer does not shifting while your typing or working.
never had a scratch or problem removing them or putting them on.
and the heat issue is non-existent...my temps have been realatively moderate or low during normal browsing and light usage.
they do add about a half pound to a pound to the overall weight but they feel sturdy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.