Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Interesting... I guess it was considered a rude response

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
What is this forum coming to that we can't post cheeky things like that to lazy members?

Bring it back! http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/bananaprotest.gif

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I'm glad it's gone.

It was amusing the first 2 times, but then got annoying really fast.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I suppose it could be. Most of the time it's use is more than justified though. Pretty ridiculously over sensitive to ban it if you ask me.

Are there any other URLs that are specifically banned? (I mean through a filter. I understand what is against forum rules)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
****** was typically used as a smart alec response to posts and would often cause thread derailment as people bickered over its use.

We try and limit posts that simply say search or use this search engine to find it as in future people looking for the answer to the problem will find posts saying to search (I know I have come across this problem when looking for help before and it is really annoying). Also because this type of post was being abused in order to flex forum muscles and increase post count, while being run and unhelpful, especially towards new members

Also often with ****** people would give the link and not actually check the results. In many cases of looking at these posts I would have to read and scan the first couple of pages of results to try and find something relevant.

In short the usage of it was deemed inherently rude and troublesome causing more work for the moderators. It has actually been banned for over a month already.

I suppose it could be. Most of the time it's use is more than justified though. Pretty ridiculously over sensitive to ban it if you ask me.

Not when you see the results and have to deal with it. It was an annoyance.

Are there any other URLs that are specifically banned? (I mean through a filter. I understand what is against forum rules)

There are quite a few but these are typically reserved for websites that spammers often refer to. You may see some spam posts malformed with lots of ***** in their links, this is due to them being blocked.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
The other thing that is annoying to me is when people just respond, "You should search", rather than actually helping the user. Especially when it's the user's first post.

I am guilty doing that occasionally but I do tend to put links to the information:eek:

Buy now or wait is annoying but it's not banned.

Very, very true...

There should be a whole "Buy Now?" area so I can ignore it in Forum Spy...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Time to build Let Me MRoogle That For You. :D
So they can just ban that too :rolleyes:

Let's just be sensitive to people who are too stupid/lazy to Google their query and have the answer stare them in the face in the first few results.

oh well, another win for the brain dead.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I'd tend to agree but then again using that in conjunction with someone else won me a free vacation. :D

Honestly, not being able to say ****** you kinda silly.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
The other thing that is annoying to me is when people just respond, "You should search", rather than actually helping the user. Especially when it's the user's first post.
But when you sign up to the forum, don't you agree to read the FAQ\Rules? Another thing is, most forums work the same way in expecting users to search for something that (unless you've just landed here on Earth) will have been asked before, so while you may be new to this forum, many won't be new to internet forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
But when you sign up to the forum, don't you agree to read the FAQ\Rules? Another thing is, most forums work the same way in expecting users to search for something that (unless you've just landed here on Earth) will have been asked before, so while you may be new to this forum, many won't be new to internet forums.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't care if it is someone's first post or not. It clearly states when you start a thread (and gives you a damn link) to search for your question. It's not asking for much, but it is asking.

It's inconsistent ... interesting to say the least. ;)

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA

I'm just curious, did you actually read the entire FAQ\Rules page when you first signed up? I'm guessing not. I actually didn't read it until I had been a member for months.

A lot of "newbies" create accounts only to ask a single question. They'll never read the FAQ and rules before they ask it. I can see if they ask a question like "When is the new iPhone coming out" when the same question has just been asked 2 threads down on the page... then yes, flame 'em!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.