Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greedyhands

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Atlanta
So I am sure many of you already know how to do this, or have done this, but I just wanted to share a success story. I'm in the process of upgrading a G4 tower, but wanted to use Leopard before I have the funds to buy a better processor. I found this excellent program that fakes out the install disc basically. Anyway, I was able to get 10.5.4 successfully loaded onto a 733MHz machine, and will post a screen shot as soon as I have it updated to 10.5.7

I'm pretty glad this worked, as all my other systems are leopard and It seems I never noticed how much better leopard was till I had to use tiger again.

greedyhands

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Atlanta
Here it is, the 10.5.7 update definitely took longer than I expected.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    48 KB · Views: 70

macz1

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
cool. It's always nice to see how these machines still can be useful... I also installed Leopard on my Sawtooth G4 and everything works as it should, only a bit slow perhaps, but well-suited for web surfing.

greedyhands

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Atlanta
technically it requires an 867MHz processor and 512MB of RAM. This one will have 1.5GB soon enough, one $30 512MB card at a time :)

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
technically it requires an 867MHz processor and 512MB of RAM. This one will have 1.5GB soon enough, one $30 512MB card at a time :)

I still have 10.4 on my Power Mac. :) It runs better. I also have 1.5GB memory on that one too.

But I'm looking forward to my new Mac Pro, probably ~2 months away now. :cool:

greedyhands

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Atlanta
I will soon find out how fast it runs. Hopefully I'll have enough money for the new processor quickly. I guess the main reason I put Leopard on there is that I couldn't stand not having such easy access to screen share. Sometimes I will be upstairs and want to monitor what is going on with my projects downstairs, or need to grab a file I don't have, or need to open up airfoil speakers. All this stuff is so much easier when I can click on the system on the left, and then click share screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.