Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjs1138

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
I just noticed that the icon for my Applications folder has been replaced with an icon for a different folder. (I was adding new icons to some folders the other day and apparently wasn't watching what I was doing closely enough.) Anyway, how can I restore the Application folder icon back to its original state?

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Go to the finder and locate your Applications folder. Get Info on it (Command-I) then proceed to selecting the little folder icon on the top left. Cut (Command-x) and your original icon should be restored.

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
lost applications folder icon

Hi, kinda new to mac and I need some help. I lost my applications folder icon. When I try to replace it using "get info, command c etc." I received a light blue folder instead of the normal applications icon. Does anyone know how to get the original icon back? It's a picky thing I know but, I would really appreciate you're help.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Have you tried as stated above; deleting the icon picture from the info window. Cause you said you used command c (and not cmmd x)

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried command x as well. Still the same blue folder. When I access "get info" the picture of the icon is also a blue folder. Is it supposed to look like the original icon? My desktop icon under get info is also a blue folder. The applications and desktop icons are correct on "finder, go". Do you have any ideas? I hate it when I do stupid stuff like this:(

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
I'm the only user and I have read & write permission under admin.

Sorry, what's a new sig?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It's my signature. ;)

And have you restarted and/or logged out and logged back in? Sometimes these changes don't show until you at least logout.

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
yup, restarted, even turned mac off last night out of frustration. still a little blue folder.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
What version of Mac OS X?

And you're selecting Applications at the root of your hard drive and getting info on that?

Attachments

• RootList.png
    RootList.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 471

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm confused.

Just to make sure you're doing the same thing as what we expect:

Go to your Desktop, double click on "Macintosh HD", select Applications, Cmd-I to get info. Select the icon of the folder and hit Cmd-x. That should cut the icon and go back to the default for the OS. =

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
mac hd to applications, get info, unlock and enter password, select little blue folder at the top on the left, hold command button down while selecting "x" key, icon doesn't change.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Unlock? There shouldn't be any need to unlock anything. Can you take a screen shot of the Get Info window (all items expanded) and post it?

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
I can take a screenshot; however, I'm informed that the file is too big to download. What to do, what to do.

I'm not sure what you mean by all items expanded.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I can take a screenshot; however, I'm informed that the file is too big to download. What to do, what to do.

I don't need the whole desktop, just what is in the Get Info window. UseCmd-Shift-4 to take a targeted screenshot (draw a box around what you want).

I'm not sure what you mean by all items expanded.

Expand all the little twistys (the triangles) in the window.

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
ok, that worked great and you are a genius...I'm sorry I'm not. How do I move the picture from "manage attachments - mac forums" to here?

I'm really sorry.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 588

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Don't worry, we can see the attachment (it "moves" automatically).

So, you're all set? I'm guessing you were trying to change the Applications folder that was in your home directory?

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
I guess it attaches itself, duh. wtf, my momma says she didn't raise no fools. guess she was wrong again.

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
sorry, I don't understand "applications in home directory" this is the path I've taken...what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    15 KB · Views: 40,466
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 40,385
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 40,404
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 40,453

ynnubbmud

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Picture 3.png this is the picture of the icon for my applications folder in dock...I don't know how it changed to this but, I would like to have the original icon back and I don't know how to change it from the blue folder to the icon with the pencil, ruler and paintbrush.

>>>correction, this is the picture of the icon I have for applications in dock.

this is a picture of the icon I want for my applications folder in dock. I don't know how to change it. HD to applications to get info, etc., is not working.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 40,255
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 40,164
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.