Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLoveiMacs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
This is my first thread! :)

Anyways, I've been a Mac user for 2 1/2 years. I'm really fascinated by the Mac, and I've converted just about every member of my household. My brother's girlfriend (one of my "victims") showed me her 800 MHz iBook G3 that she got off of eBay today.She was complaining about how it ran so "slowly." It turns out that the eBay seller had crippled the machine with a bunch of useless apps and Mac Pro-worthy settings. I "tuned it down" for her, and I had SO much fun with it! Which brings me to my point... Do you all have any tips on how to look for an iBook, can point out any good deals or stores. or do you have any experiences with it? I'm looking for one slightly faster than hers, probably a 1.2 or a 1.33 GHz G4-I really like the trackpad on the 1.33GHz. I'm looking at PowerMax http://www.powermax.com, but I'm pretty much open to any store, as long as their trustworthy, etc. I'm sorry this post is so long. Thanks for looking/replying! :) :apple: :)

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.

Anyways, I've been a Mac user for 2 1/2 years. I'm really fascinated by the Mac, and I've converted just about every member of my household. My brother's girlfriend (one of my "victims") showed me her 800 MHz iBook G3 that she got off of eBay today.She was complaining about how it ran so "slowly." It turns out that the eBay seller had crippled the machine with a bunch of useless apps and Mac Pro-worthy settings. I "tuned it down" for her, and I had SO much fun with it! Which brings me to my point... Do you all have any tips on how to look for an iBook, can point out any good deals or stores. or do you have any experiences with it? I'm looking for one slightly faster than hers, probably a 1.2 or a 1.33 GHz G4-I really like the trackpad on the 1.33GHz. I'm looking at PowerMax http://www.powermax.com, but I'm pretty much open to any store, as long as their trustworthy, etc. I'm sorry this post is so long. Thanks for looking/replying! :) :apple: :)
I bought my the iBook listed in my signature off of eBay, and that's generally where you'll find the best deals. A bit of a risk is involved there of course, just make sure the seller gives a decent warranty (30 days or more.) I've heard very good things about PowerMax, but I'd avoid them just because of their insanely high prices.

iBooks are great machines for light to medium usage. (As in, they'll run some of the heavy apps, but not very well.) If you just need a lightweight machine for internet, chatting, photos and music, an iBook G4 (maybe even a higher end G3) will excel.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007

PowerMax is a good company. I have traded my old macs for new and received good trade-in values and they have done some discounting as well, or given me free shipping. I would recommend PowerMax.com to you.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I can tell you they run 2004 very well. But I have not tried 2008 on mine. I'd imagine it might be a tad slower, but not unusable. That's just a guess, though.
Mine handles 2004 flawlessly, and though I've not used 2008, it also works extremely well with iPhoto 6, iMovie 5, Adobe CS3 (like, the Suite) and FCE 3.5. Just FYI.
Sigh, it seems like Cassie and I are a rare breed...

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
I do summer updates on computers for my old high-school, and I can tell you that the G4 iBook can run leopard and do office '08, but it is not the best use of the machine. 10.4 is a great for a G4 Book. Office '08 takes an inordinate amount of time to launch, but once it is open, it is very usable. I would suggest '04 for sure on an iBook. And if you can, get 1 Gb of ram in it, upping to that from 512 is a world of difference if you plan on running more than one app at a time, like listen to music, instant messaging, and web browsing.

iLoveiMacs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
PowerMax is a good company. I have traded my old macs for new and received good trade-in values and they have done some discounting as well, or given me free shipping. I would recommend PowerMax.com to you.

Thanks for the recommendation. i have actually shopped at PowerMax several times-i like their service. The only problem (like Cassie pointed out) is the high prices, especially on used Macs. :(

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
hiya, I am typing this on my ibook g4 1gig running Leopard. Good machine from new but struggles with Flash so much that many sites are unusable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.