Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Hi guys

There is an option on AppleStore to add an SSD when you buy a new MacBook, any idea what kind of brand is it? Any good? I'm undecided between that (128Gb version) and 320Gb 7200rpm drive. :confused:

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Any 2.5" SATA SSD will do. I bought an OCZ Vertex. Terrific drive, terrific support, and a great value (compared to drives similar in performance like the intel x25-m)

Dias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Thank for replies. :)

I'm currently using 50Gb on my MacOS partition, so the was I was thinking to manage my next 128Gb SSD driver is:

100Gb for MacOS
28Gb for Windows7/Office (it has much smaller footprint that Leopard)

Btw, are both 128Gb and 256Gb drives on Apple website for MacBook made by Samsung?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Yes, 220 read and 200 write. Low voltage, its just 128 GB will fill up fast

Sequential reads and sequential writes are a marketing gimmick for SSDs. Especially since they degrade over time as the blocks get used (not the same as just filling the drive with data).

Look more at IOPS and random reads. This is where the Intel outshines the competition, although you pay double the price for it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Thank for replies. :)

I'm currently using 50Gb on my MacOS partition, so the was I was thinking to manage my next 128Gb SSD driver is:

100Gb for MacOS
28Gb for Windows7/Office (it has much smaller footprint that Leopard)

Btw, are both 128Gb and 256Gb drives on Apple website for MacBook made by Samsung?

The Air has seen Toshiba drives, but according to people, those are not the greatest ones.

Also, you still have to take into account the fact that even though they advertise 128 GB, the actual formatted capacity is less. So I'd say you'd have ~123 GB to play with.

Sequential reads and sequential writes are a marketing gimmick for SSDs. Especially since they degrade over time as the blocks get used (not the same as just filling the drive with data).

Look more at IOPS and random reads. This is where the Intel outshines the competition, although you pay double the price for it.

You mean write speeds, read speed stay the same regardless of degradation.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Hmm, I'm confused, at the end of the day is it worth it? I mean compared to a HDD 320Gb 7200rpm?

I have a Hitachi 7200rpm right now on my MBP and I'm not complaining, but I wouldn't mind to have more speed.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008

No, SSDs with crappy JMicron controllers suffer from latency spikes in both read and writes.

Also, some drives just suck at small random reads -- and even the ones that don't don't flat out suck look pretty bad when compared to Intel's drives.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No, SSDs with crappy JMicron controllers suffer from latency spikes in both read and writes.

Also, some drives just suck at small random reads -- and even the ones that don't don't flat out suck look pretty bad when compared to Intel's drives.

Which is why the recommendation has always been is stick to Intel or OCZ.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
I'll explain my situation a little bit. Here in Italy finding an X-25 or OCZ would be very hard and very expensive, so the only option I have is to get my SSD directly from Apple, which means Samsung.

These latency issues you're talking about, how annoying are they compared to classic 7200rpm performance? Is it worth paying more for a Samsung SSD? My typical usage is Internet/Office/Programming/Multimedia (I want an SSD to speedup loading times).

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The Air has seen Toshiba drives, but according to people, those are not the greatest ones.

Also, you still have to take into account the fact that even though they advertise 128 GB, the actual formatted capacity is less. So I'd say you'd have ~123 GB to play with.

Yes write speeds degrade. Read speeds have nothing to do with the 'penalty' for trying to write to a used block.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
I'll explain my situation a little bit. Here in Italy finding an X-25 or OCZ would be very hard and very expensive, so the only option I have is to get my SSD directly from Apple, which means Samsung

Have you checked eBay? There are a lot of sellers that will ship within the EU, and you can easily pick up an X25 for < 300 EU (which is not too bad, considering the cost in the US.)

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
I'll explain my situation a little bit. Here in Italy finding an X-25 or OCZ would be very hard and very expensive, so the only option I have is to get my SSD directly from Apple, which means Samsung.

Trying buying a X-25 from ebay or online. The SSD's Apple gives you aren't that fast compared to the Intel.

norsemen

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Go with Apple preinstalled SSD in your case. Installing it youself could void ant warrenty and having it done by a professional tech in Europe is usually expensive. You won't see much difference in the price either. The Samsung is fine, you won't notice much difference from the Intel. Playing it safe is sometimes the better option.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Go with Apple preinstalled SSD in your case. Installing it youself could void ant warrenty and having it done by a professional tech in Europe is usually expensive. You won't see much difference in the price either. The Samsung is fine, you won't notice much difference from the Intel. Playing it safe is sometimes the better option.

The HD is a user-serviceable part on the Unibody MacBooks. Changing it will not void your warranty.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin

The hard drive is user servicable and it takes literally one screw to remove it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.