Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I have a friend that bought their iphone at BestBuy...we got into a heated debate on this.

If an iphone was purchased at BestBuy...and has the BestBuy Warranty.
...if it gets broken after the release of the new iphone, my friend seems to think they'll replace hers with the new iphone as opposed to a refurb.

(the argument...because they did this with a camera she had purchase through BestBuy before) :eek:

Is this true?
If so, I am so angry.

bjquach

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
PA
Why would you purchase a bestbuy warranty when the iphone is covered for a year from apple? Also, doesn't bestbuy like to screw people over with their warranties?

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
She did it because Bestbuy covers accidental damage. Now I'd never buy a Bestbuy, too each their own. My guess is in the wording - Bestbuy does NOT have to replace it with a brand new model. I'm sure Bestbuy will be able to get a hold of a refurb to replace her handset. They'll want to save all of their new iPhones for paying customers to increase their revenue.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
That's what I told her...that more than likely they would find a refurb to replace it if she did end up breaking her current iphone. She just wouldn't agree...she said that they replaced her camera with a brand new model of the same kind...so they should do the same with the iphone.

bjquach

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
PA
I'm sure BestBuy has something in that agreement that may prevent a replacement from happening.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
That's what I told her...that more than likely they would find a refurb to replace it if she did end up breaking her current iphone. She just wouldn't agree...she said that they replaced her camera with a brand new model of the same kind...so they should do the same with the iphone.

They'll only replace it with a new model, Apple & AT&T too!, if there are no refurbs available to replace hers with. Chances are VERY slim that there will not be any 3G's around for them to grab.

Cameras are different, they don't normally keep refurbs around after the model is EOL'd. The normally distribute the refurbs through vendors like Tigerdirect.com.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
I Dont think best buy has refurbs laying around at each and every store.
And they will not make her wait weeks to get a refurb in, they'll just give her a new one they got in stock.

Possibly, I'm not 1005 sure how BB warranty works. I would expect that you can't get a replacement in store, but have to call a number for the third party that handles the warranty. They would be the ones that decide what you get, correct?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Interesting situation.
Let us know how it went thread starter.
I kinda like how you can get accidental damage warranty at best buy and also receive reward zone points for your iphone purchase.
Applecare is good also but it doesnt cover accidents like cracked screens or water damage etc... Only manufacturer defects.
Maybe I'll get my next Iphone at Best Buy.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
There are actually many pros to buying from a Best Buy, two come in mind for me,

1. The accidental damage program
2. Reward Zone points.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
That's just it...she hasn't broken it yet.

She was speaking hypothetically about purposefully "accidentally" breaking it to get the new one. (without having to adjust her contract) :mad:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One question I have, does the BB warranty state that they'll replace the iPhone with the same thing or a "comparable" unit? The last time I was given that sales pitch (on a pda back in the day) they said if unit-x wasn't in stock or available they'd give me another model closest to what I had. That means they may not be compelled to give the person a new (or refurb) iPhone but some other phone.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I work at best buy...let me clear some things up.

Best buy will replace it if say you accidently drop it and the screen cracks. Apple won't.

Best Buy does have refurbs laying around.

If you come in to replace your phone and the 3G's are out of stock AND they are discontinued, you be given a 'comparable' model in which case would be the new iphone

You might want to make sure that apple won't still be making the 3G models when they release the new iphone before you break it.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
I actually signed up for this at BB also. The way it was described to me, was that it was actually a type of insurance that does not cover loss or theft. At $15 a month, I'm not sure if its even worth it. I'm convinced that once I cancel it, something will happen and I'll be beat.

Anyway, at least the plan I have, the "insurance" doesn't expire after 2 years because its really a subscription. So say I have a problem with the phone by next March and there are no more 3G refurbs laying around, I was told that they would replace it with something comparable...like previously stated. Would be awesome if that's the case.

ckarcher

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Don't always believe what the sales guys say about the warranties. Even though they aren't on commission, they still need to make their numbers and will sometimes do whatever it takes.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
I do know with my ipod that i got at best buy with a 3 year warrenty that when i took my ipod back they replaced it with the newer model,

Ill be going back soon as i have a 3 year warrenty on that and the battery is not holding its charge very long at all now. Just a couple of hours. Its the classic 30gig ... I am curious to see what they will do and what they will replace it with......

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
You would be stupid to NOT buy from best buy. Their warranty is awesome,

It covers accidental, so if you drop your iPhone into water you still get brand new one.

Pretty positive it would be brand new as well,

I had it on an iPod and I dropped it on the ground, broke it, brought it to best buy and they opened a brand new (newer model) iPod and gave it to me no questions asked.

I know my next iPhone won't be bought at AT&T, i'll be going to best buy just for piece of mind.

williamgallas10

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
You would be stupid to NOT buy from best buy. Their warranty is awesome,

It covers accidental, so if you drop your iPhone into water you still get brand new one.

Pretty positive it would be brand new as well,

I had it on an iPod and I dropped it on the ground, broke it, brought it to best buy and they opened a brand new (newer model) iPod and gave it to me no questions asked.

I know my next iPhone won't be bought at AT&T, i'll be going to best buy just for piece of mind.

$180 a year is too much, if nothing happens to your phone. If it also covered loss and theft, maybe.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
$180 a year is too much, if nothing happens to your phone. If it also covered loss and theft, maybe.

Are you sure it's not 180$ for 3 years? pretty sure thats what it is, and even if so if your accident prone it's 200+ to replace your iPhone with a refurb from apple and they don't cover water damage.

If your accident prone it's totally worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.