Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordfreya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Alright, i have Parallels 4, all legit with code blah blah...

(oh yeah, my computer is a MPB 2.5GHZ 2GB RAM, nVidia 8600M GT w/ 512MB video and a 250GB hard drive)

and i have an .iso of TinyXP Rev09.

the install went perfectly and it self extracted all the basic drivers automatically like it was supposed to.

now, as an easy test ive been trying to run the Halo Combat Evolved PC Demo, because it is a small file i can download quickly and it uses directx 9.

now im going to try and be more clear from this point on about the specific problem...

as i said, TinyXP installs perfectly, and i download the Halo demo. it then nicely tells me that my Direct 3D drawing is messed up, with a little more exploration it tells me that it is because i do not have a specific video driver installed (which is perfectly true)

now i tried multiple methods to install the 8600M GT video driver, including the official way through the nVidia website, and by using laptopvideo2go.com

now i have tried 5+ different versions of the laptopvideo2go drivers, with and without the modified .inf file.... also tried the force way where you go to computer properties, hardware, drivers, update drivers, blah blah

no matter which way i go about this i get errors, specifically the "this software does not include the information for your hardware" (something to that effect) this is for when i try to install it through the computer properties, hardware, etc chain listed above, the "forced" way ive come to understand it as
or
"nVidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."
this is what appears when you just double click the setup.exe file in the driver file...

so, my final question is... is it possible to install a driver file through parallels, or has this all been futile?

2nd, if the above is not possible, is there any other sort of work around?

(i would prefer to not have to use bootcamp, as i can not partition my hardrive right now... i have about 80GBs free but it says "some files can not be moved, back up your system then reformat the disc, and try bootcamp again" and i do not have an external hard drive available to me large enough)

im sorry this was so long, and if confusing please ask me to clarify, i am very determined to work this out

thank you everyone

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not really familiar with virtualization software but if you went through all those drivers, I don't think it's a driver problem. I think you're getting those errors because you're using Parallels. Anybody can confirm that?

lordfreya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
yeah thats what i was afraid of/thinking of now...

like i said... im having an issue partitioning my hard drive to do a "traditional?" install....

any other known work arounds/ ways of installing a version of XP that can be used for gaming?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Windows under Parallels can't directly use your NVidia 8600. You have to install the Parallels drivers, and not all games may work with those.

If you want full gaming support, you've got to go Boot Camp.

lordfreya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
alright, thank you guys
do any of you know where i could get those drivers?

and on a sort of new question...
have you guys ever heard of the error that "some of my files" could not be moved, and therefore need to be reformatted? (that error occurs when trying to partition a 32GB section of my hard drive through Boot Camp)
and if you have, is there any way to fix it without reformatting?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
alright, thank you guys
do any of you know where i could get those drivers?

They come with Parallels. If you've already installed the Parallels drivers/tools, and the game isn't working, it's simply not going to work under Parallels. You'll have to use Boot Camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.