Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
iBox/iStereo - Would you buy one?

If Apple were to come out with the below, would you buy one:

- Bookshelf type stereo.
- Amplifier and speakers by Onkyo or other quality company.
- iPod touch-like touch screen (a little larger).
- Wi-Fi.
- Bluetooth.
- 10/100/1000 Ethernet.
- 3.5" HDD/SDD (capacity options: 64GB - 1TB).
- CD/DVD drive to rip music with (optional?).

I have often wondered if Apple would ever introduce such a product. Would it cannibalize their existing iPod docking systems or attract more sales? Is there some overlap with Apple TV here, who knows...but I'd like to see one.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Or you could plug a Mac Mini (or any other computer for that matter) into an existing stereo...

Would need to see more on what you envision this product actually does. Where's the innovation?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Or you could plug a Mac Mini (or any other computer for that matter) into an existing stereo...

Would need to see more on what you envision this product actually does. Where's the innovation?

You just described almost exactly what he wrote. Apple TV SHOULD be focusing on becoming a product like that, which wouldn't need a full-fledged OS. But the ATV operating system is pretty much crap because it's designed to be used with the crappy Apple Remote.

This is why I think Apple should offer the software to Blu-ray Disc manufacturers. I have a Samsung BD player with Netflix and Pandora. If Apple TV was this easy to use, I would have 10 of them. OK, not really. But they would sell a lot better. Add a small SSD to some of these units or hook up external HDDs and you've got a gold mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.