Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
My wireless broadband connection has become snail-like. How do I check how fast it's actually connecting?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mala said:
My wireless broadband connection has become snail-like. How do I check how fast it's actually connecting?
There is a check service here; do keep in mind that speed issues with your broadband connection may not be on your end. Sometimes, the server(s) you download from have slow connections or limited bandwidth themselves, and thus your speed isn't the determining factor.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Connection speed check

I highly recommend PCPitstop (http://www.pcpitstop.com). It features a ton of useful tests and information. (It's also the one that many ISP's tech people use themselves.) For a simple test of actual throughput, click on "Internet Connection" (7th down at the left). If you're measuring download speed, try to accurately select your expected baud rate, otherwise the wrong size packet will be sent and you'll get an inaccurate number.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
The first site, posted by wrldwzrd, seems to be US-only; the second, posted by Kabeyun, gives a 404, and PC Pitstop seems to be, well, for PCs rather than Macs, as far as I can see.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for the help you've given me.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I would try rebooting your broadband router, I have to kick start mine every so often to get better performance.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks, James, rebooting does help - but I'm curious about how fast my connection is anyway!

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Mala said:

It's broadband.... doesn't that mean it's always on? Hence no "connection" speed? Connection speed dates back to when we all had modems and our ISPs lied to use and told us all we were getting 57600 kbps even though that was impossible. Connection speed was never reliable. The speed of the inital connection does not mean it cannot degrade or improve after connection is established.

Reason for that tangent of thought is cause the same holds true for broadband... in essence: your mileage may vary. Your speed can fluctuate a lot over the course of a day.

Does it get slower at "peek" times? If so, then there are too many subscribers and not enough bandwidth. Nothing you can do. If rebooting your router helps, but it continues to be a problem then your ISP may have a way of detecting NAT (if you use NAT) and slowing you down because you are breaking their TOS (though it seems more likely that they would just cut you off). Also check with your ISP to make sure you don't have bandwidth limitations... if you spend a lot of time downloading big files at peak times they might be slowing you down on purpose.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
my wireless connection becomes "snail-like" in three cases:
1) someone is using the computer downstairs to do something intensive,
2) slow server, and occasionally
3) interference from the cordless phone.

i keep asking my mom to move while she talks on the phone, but she doesn't care... just more reason for me to "get up and exercise..."

reality

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
realityisterror said:
3) interference from the cordless phone.

If it's a 2.4 GHz cordless phone try replacing it with a cheaper/older 900 MHz cordless. Supposedly less interference. Dunno where I previously read this little tidbit of advice, but I hope it helps.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
its true, cordless phones will interfere with wireless connections.

interesting tidbit-when i worked for best buy, we had scan guns that connected wirelessly to our computers for printing stickers, etc. the cordless phones were 2.4ghz and interfered HORRIBLY wiht the scan guns...yet despite being overstocked in 900mhz phones we could never get them replaced...grr...

and to stay on topicish...both the cnet and pcpitstop sites listed my connection as the upper limits of cable...i think it was 2777 kbps...whoo hoo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.