Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130452-iphone_ad_kiosk.jpeg

Campaign reports (via Engadget) that CBS Outdoor, the outdoor advertising arm of CBS, is launching a new advertising platform that will allow iPhone users to interact with and manipulate digital advertising signage. The platform will be launched on LCD advertising screens such as those commonly seen in malls and other shopping centers.
By swiping in either direction on the iPhone's touchscreen, users can make the object in the digital poster spin to the left or right, and users can also make the display change colour.

Also by using the "pinch" and "stretch" finger gestures on the iPhone, consumers will be able to zoom in or out of the object displayed on the screen.
Users will be able to connect to the digital signage via Wi-Fi or 3G and then interact with the displayed images.

Article Link: CBS Outdoor to Allow iPhone Users to Interact With Digital Advertising Signs

danielchow

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
actually, i think this might work.

for example, the advertisement could show off a product and offering the potential buyer a virtual shelf of suggested accessories. the hooked consumer approaches the interactive advertisement with his/her iphone and begins manipulating the different suggested accessories to mix and match with the product. when she/he is quite satisfied with the combination, the interactive advertisement either e-mail or display the stores that are carrying the items. it sure beats roaming about aimlessly trying to find something. i think this could make some spouses happy because they don't have to be drag from one store to another trying to find something to match.

in this example, the advertisement provider can have multiple advertisers for one ad space.

ooo, i should patent this concept!

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Totally depends on the implementation ....

If they just go the "mindless" route, and do this for random product ads in the shopping malls, then yeah - it's another "epic fail".

You know where I think it could really work well though? Set this up in the home improvement warehouses and paint stores, so a person can experiment with different shades of paint in sample rooms of a house or office. Let them change trim colors, wall paint colors, and try different paint colors for the ceiling than the wall. Use the iPhone as the remote control for it, but use the big display screen to view the results. Then, let the user save the selected paint types/codes on their iPhone so they can remember exactly what they need when they go to buy the paint, or have it mixed. Even let them save a copy of the sample image(s) of the rooms so they can take them home to show someone else before buying. Beats the whole rack of paint chips on the little cardboard cards by a mile!

actually, i think this might work.

for example, the advertisement could show off a product and offering the potential buyer a virtual shelf of suggested accessories. the hooked consumer approaches the interactive advertisement with his/her iphone and begins manipulating the different suggested accessories to mix and match with the product. when she/he is quite satisfied with the combination, the interactive advertisement either e-mail or display the stores that are carrying the items. it sure beats roaming about aimlessly trying to find something. i think this could make some spouses happy because they don't have to be drag from one store to another trying to find something to match.

in this example, the advertisement provider can have multiple advertisers for one ad space.

ooo, i should patent this concept!

autrefois

macrumors 65816
OriginalArticle said:
By swiping in either direction on the iPhone's touchscreen, users can make the object in the digital poster spin to the left or right, and users can also make the display change colour.

More importantly, can you turn the ad off?

The technology is great, but I'm very tired of being bombarded by advertising everywhere, especially while shopping: on a TV while you're waiting to pay for your groceries, over the intercom while you're shopping. There are even coupon holders now that talk to you when you walk by. I may sound like a grumpy not-so-old man, but it would be nice to be able to shop in peace sometimes.

You know where I think it could really work well though? Set this up in the home improvement warehouses and paint stores, so a person can experiment with different shades of paint in sample rooms of a house or office.

Now that's a useful idea for this type of technology. They could do it for all sorts of things, not just home improvement. Allowing the customer to see different options, different brands, etc. for the type of product they're looking for. Instead of having it be advertising, make it a service: a kind of big catalogue for customers to look at, either set up by the store or by the companies.

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Cool idea. Sometimes your at the mall in a hurry and you see something on this kinds of screens and you wish you could stop and see the product. Now, you can just look at it in your phone. Love the idea.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
More importantly, can you turn the ad off?

The technology is great, but I'm very tired of being bombarded by advertising everywhere, especially while shopping: on a TV while you're waiting to pay for your groceries, over the intercom while you're shopping. There are even coupon holders now that talk to you when you walk by. I may sound like a grumpy not-so-old man, but it would be nice to be able to shop in peace sometimes.

+1!

Besides, unless they're going to offer iPhone owners better pricing than non-iPhone owners, why would I waste my precious battery life on a stupid advertisement??

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
This would be awesome.
Only problem would be if there are others flocking to the same screen and trying to manipulate it at once.
Wonder if they will do like picture in picture for the device which would be kind of awesome and allowing up to 4 extra people to manipulate a window all at the same time.

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
My bro works for a company that did some sort of game on a billboard in times square. It was for bank of america and it was played using cell phones.

I wish I had more details. I need to ask him about it.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I may sound like a grumpy not-so-old man, but it would be nice to be able to shop in peace sometimes.

Try shopping on the internet.;) As for grocery stores, many have call ahead services which let you just pickup the items you've phoned in.

Being able to turn off outdoor signage is kinda point less for the advertiser.

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
I want to see a picture of myself and 300 other iPhone owners surrounding one digital advertising sign at the same time..... lol :D:D:D

Yeah, I don't understand how this can work if multiple people want to control this? I feel like whatever it is, would just be more easily viewed on the iPhone than on a screen you can walk by on. I feel like the only use would really be to entertain kids with a multiplayer kind of game.

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
would i have to wait in line for my turn to 'interact' with the commercial? I have better things to do!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Westfield shopping centers, eh? I know of few of them, so I'll be watching for this. It'll be a good way to find out who around you has an iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.