Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
You can use another slot loading optical drive from another mac. However, it must be the same type. The only two macs that I know that used these types of drives are the iMac G3 slot loading (350mhz-700mhz), and the G4 Cube. Any more "modern" slot loader will not fit without modifications.

You can pick up used ones from ebay.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
yes, you can use the same form factor DVD drives in the G3 slot drives. The iMac DV and the end of production units had slot loading DVD drives.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
Hiya, I have an iMacDV G3 450 with a DVD drive. The thing to note is that they can not burn CD disks. That is if you are after a Combo or Super drive check that the form factor fits your iMac first.

I would think that an old drive from a Cube would be ok though.

What are you thinking of using the iMac for? Mine has not been used for a few years and the good lady is not happy with it floating around the house. :eek:

Zagreus

macrumors member
Original poster
Also to ask another question, I'm upgrading the iMac a bit, so when I buy the RAM does it have to be ECC or non ECC, because I was watching a few upgrading videos and ECC didn't seem to work, so was just wondering if it made a difference or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.