Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Any1 has an idea on how to connect my macbook air to my electric guitar because i would like to record with my mac but i need your help to do it...
Thanks

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Any1 has an idea on how to connect my macbook air to my electric guitar because i would like to record with my mac but i need your help to do it...
Thanks

Just get hold of a guitar USB A/D interface cable. Google it and you will get loads of options.

fabiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Just get hold of a guitar USB A/D interface cable. Google it and you will get loads of options.

i am seaching now on ebay and i have found items that are title as "New Guitar to USB Interface Link Cable PC Recording" do u think that it will work well with GarageBand?? Thanks

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
i am seaching now on ebay and i have found items that are title as "New Guitar to USB Interface Link Cable PC Recording" do u think that it will work well with GarageBand?? Thanks

I can't be absolutely certain but it should work. You don't usually need drivers for this kind of cable on a mac - in my experience 'they just work'.

Have a look at the garageband manual for details on how to select the audio input and record a guitar track.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
When I was in high school, I learned to play the guitar. Unfortunately, I set it down and haven't played for 15 years. Now with tech catching up, I so wish I had continued. Garage Band, connecting instruments to Macs, and just being an artist is so much fun with technology. I cannot imagine being able to record and work on my own music. I may have just taken a completely different career path... life would be so much more fun as a musician... than working as a consultant/lecturer/writer.

I don't personally have any experience for this, but I did find one for my daughter's keyboard a few months ago by searching on Google + "Mac compatibility." Just find one that states it will work with a Mac. I have found Google to be the place to go to find direct information from cable/music component providers. Sorry I cannot provide more help, but my help is to state don't give up on Google. Just keep modifying your search until you find a product page showing the Mac compatibility and system requirements that shows will work with a USB port and Leopard plus Garage Band (your version). Also, make sure you note that you don't have an audio/mic "in" on the MBA, so you need a device that connects to the MBA via a USB cable.

Best wishes, and keep on jamming!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks

What you need is a USB audio interface. There must be 100 of these on the market. All different quality levels and features. First decide hw many audio input channels you need. One for guitar, but any others? Maybe vocals with a mic? Also look at the inputs. There are mic line and instrument levels you need one with at least one instrument level input or with an input that is switchable to instrument level.

I asume the plan is to plug the guitar in directly. But there are other ways to go. (1) if you amp has a line level output then you can record that and record some of the "amp sound" too. or (2) mic the speaker cab. Put a mic about 1 foot away from the speaker. The direct input s simple but all you get is a very clean and very bright sound

Shopping for audio interfaces is easy. There are so many. Pick a few then download and read the user manuals to decide which you like. they all wrk with Macs

Take a look at the "Lexicon Alpha" from this list.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces
Fr you needs you should not have to spend over $100

Zanike

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2006
Don't waste your time with junk

If you want to record and you want it to sound good just visit Sweetwater sound. They actually have people who know what they are talking about. I was a professional musician for several years and help build everything from major studios, tour PAs, to small basement practice studios. They treat their customers great and will talk to you for an extended amount of time to make sure they understand what you want, the choices you have, and what equipment will work best for you.
I myself recommend Firewire because USB is way too slow, however since you are using the air that is basically what you will be able to use. You also only have one usb port so you will need a powered usb hub if you are going to use anything in addition to the usb interface. If you are starting out you might want to go cheap but you will just replace whatever you get with something better once you know more about what you are doing.

You won't regret it.
http://www.sweetwater.com

No I don't work there either.
cheers
Zainke

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.