Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wishsong

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2009
I have 60 some odd apps ready for my touch when it comes in the mail, but because it's an 8gb I'm worried about the memory... Is there any way to check how much memory these apps take on itunes?

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I have 60 some odd apps ready for my touch when it comes in the mail, but because it's an 8gb I'm worried about the memory... Is there any way to check how much memory these apps take on itunes?

They say how much each app takes when you download them. I'd bet you use maybe 250MB with 60 average apps.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
You can tell exactly how much space your combined applications are taking by looking at the bar at the bottom if the iTunes page for your device when it's connected. If you click the bar, the display will change from percent to number of megabytes. The apps are shown in green.

Sixty apps shouldn't be anything for you to worry about. I have 81, and altogether they take 562 MB.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
You can tell exactly how much space your combined applications are taking by looking at the bar at the bottom if the iTunes page for your device when it's connected. If you click the bar, the display will change from percent to number of megabytes. The apps are shown in green.

Well thats all well and dandy, but since he doesn't have a device to plug in right now, your way to get the size is moot. Another thing he can do to get the exact size is to find the folder that all the apps are stored in and check its size.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Well thats all well and dandy, but since he doesn't have a device to plug in right now, your way to get the size is moot. Another thing he can do to get the exact size is to find the folder that all the apps are stored in and check its size.
I missed the fact that he's waiting for his device to arrive. :eek: Need to read more carefully.

To assist him in seeing how much space his apps-in-waiting are taking on his hard disk, he should go to Music/iTunes/, then right click on Mobile Applications and Get Info (on a Mac) or Properties (on Windows) to see how many GB the saved applications are holding.

In any case, he is unlikely to have anything to worry about. His apps are going to take less than 500 MB in all likelihood.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
In any case, he is unlikely to have anything to worry about. His apps are going to take less than 500 MB in all likelihood.

Unless one of the apps in his iTunes is called the MYST.

BTW just checked mine. 385 Apps, 2.9GB. And no I do not have MYST in there.

Fe1

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009

Someone said about the iPhone/iTouch, that the last thing one does on it, is make calls/listen to songs. That at least, is my case. :eek:

For the record, on one 8GB iTouch that I have with 9 pages worth of apps -- about 5 of those pages are games. The data (the yellow line) for the games is about 2GB (!) alone. This includes Myst, incidentally.

After all is said and done, it leaves me with 1.8GB left over. So I reckon you'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.