Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Today, I just bought a Targus chill mat for mac for under 30 bucks. When I tested it out, It did not give me the results I expected. I taught that I would get a couple of degrees lower in temperature. I'm planning on taking it back to the store.

On the other hand, I was looking into this cooling mat: http://www.geardiary.com/2007/05/06/thermaltake-ixoft-fanless-notebook-cooler-review/ It looks kind of promising, but I need anyone's opinion. What is the best cooling pad/mat that can fit under my $30 budget?

I'll appreciate anyone's comments, thanks.

DooDaaDame

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2009
On The Road-RV'er
Today, I just bought a Targus chill mat for mac for under 30 bucks. When I tested it out, It did not give me the results I expected.

You got that right, I've never seen a more useless piece of trash in my life. I bought one, I could blow over my computer and cool it better than the wimp fans in that unit!
I'm looking for cooling power and quiet, but I'll settle for cooling power. Let me know if you find something that really works and fits the 17"

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Ok, heres your perfect answer.

And if you dont like that then there is this, this, this, this, this

WOW...there's a line between being helpful and being rude. Those links are either old or outdated, lacking in information, or don't even apply to the MBP or the OP's budget. The OP had a specific question based on his needs. Seriously no need to act like that...

To the OP, what temps are you getting from your MBP? Elevated stands like the M stand work great if you use your MBP as a desktop and the machine doesn't overheat that much. Cooling pads under $30 will mostly reflect the quality, so be a little leery. Most decent coolers are at least $40. I know Belkin makes decent ones.

Neon1234

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Enermax Aeolus.... Enough said.
But doesn't do the same for viewing position as the mStand.

However I can't find a cooler at or below $30 worth mentioning.

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
WOW...there's a line between being helpful and being rude. Those links are either old or outdated, lacking in information, or don't even apply to the MBP or the OP's budget. The OP had a specific question based on his needs. Seriously no need to act like that...

To the OP, what temps are you getting from your MBP? Elevated stands like the M stand work great if you use your MBP as a desktop and the machine doesn't overheat that much. Cooling pads under $30 will mostly reflect the quality, so be a little leery. Most decent coolers are at least $40. I know Belkin makes decent ones.

I never had a prbolem with the temp when it's either Idle or when I'm using some apps, but it does get hot to the touch when I play games such as WoW, etc. I want something that drops a few cel when I play games because I don't want to take away much from my notebook's lifespan. I also want something that feels good on my lap.

The Targus chill mat for mac, the one I jus purchased, does feel good on my lap. However, it does not drop the temp in any way. I feel that the air out of the mat is not doing anything at all. Please help me decide before I turn it back today to the store. NOTE: I did get an excellent deal on the chill mat for $24. But what I think is that what's the point of having a cooling pad with dual fans that feels good on the lap but does not drop any temperature of my umbp?

mbpcron

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Richmond, VA
Placed my MBP feet on 4 chair leg cups.

Raised it .25 inch off the desk and the air flow does the rest. In my lap it does get warm sometimes. no big deal to me.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I've found the simply propping my notebook up on some books with the top left section open to drop the temperature when I'm playing games in Windows. I haven't done any temperature comparisons, but when I don't do this the top left section gets too hot to touch, almost feels like it'll burn my hand if I leave my finger on it too long. On the other hand, when I prop it up with books so that the middle section and top left and right sections are exposed, I can touch any part of the laptop and not feel like I'm going to get burned. The top left section still gets hot, but not too hot to touch.

I recently installed istat pro and when I restart into OS X and check my temperatures after playing games in windows, I've gotten peak temperatures in the mid 60's in Celsius for the CPU and the GPU. I've also noticed that the temperature goes back down very quickly once you take the load off of it. So even without the fans revving up the aluminum body dissipates heat very quickly. My guess is the that CPU and GPU while gaming get into the mid 70's in Celsius. Of course thats just my guess from seeing temperatures go down after the load has been taken off and the time the computer takes to restart into OS X.

At those temperatures though, the computer is completely safe. I was going to get a cooling pad, and I was actually going for the chill mat for mac cooling pad. Now I'm going to simply get an m-stand to prop up the laptop. From what I've read about temperatures, being in the mid 70's is perfectly safe as these new chips can even go up to 100 Celsius before things start to get dangerous.

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
I finally decided and im thinking about going with the enermax cooler pad. I will place the order by tomorrow morning. Can anyone give me pros and cons of whom already used it? Will it be a life saver when I play games, do forensic work, etc? I'll appreciate it so much.

Neon1234

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I haven't yet bought it, but will. and have done lots of research.

Pros:
Silent
Can cool your laptop by as much as 22 degrees Celsius
The silver aluminium cooler, fits in well with the MBP
One 250mm fan
USB powered
Low and high power modes.
Works very well with Macs, due to the way in which the Mac cooling system works.

Cons:
Can not be used easily on the lap.

Hope it helps.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US

Dude, their cooling pads. A plastic pad with a plastic fan. Cooling pads dont get outdated. One of those cheapo targus pads actually keeps mine 15 to 20 deg cooler without smc in clamshell mode.

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
I'm using a cheap Belkin cooling pad that has 1/2" curve that allows the air to circulate under my MBP.

According to the app, it dropped the temps about 10 degrees while playing Sims 3 so...its doing its job.

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
I just got the AEOLUS Enermax cooling pad. I definitely like the stand and it is very comfortable. . However, I can't really tell if it is dropping any temps on my umbp.

I don't know if its because the notebook is kind of bigger than the cooling pad. I say this because the pad doesnt cover the least part of the vent my on my umbp.

I also don't know if I am doing it wrong, but I am looking at the temp on CPU A and it is the same as without the pad. Is that where I am suppose to look at? Or at the enclosure base?

Please help me, thanks.

mrmeister

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
have you had any luck with this? i'm considering buying one as when playing the sims 3 my unibody mbp reaches around 83 C - thats when using smc fan control blasting out at 6000rpm, so i can't do any more to cool it further at the moment

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.