Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
hello today at 3:30 pm est i will be buying a ibook g4 1.07 ghz with 768 ram. the only things wrong with it are the keys are faded and the screen is cracked. but he is only wanting 50 dollars for the laptop and it does run. so my question to the community is it worth it or not to fix for my fiancée.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Well if it's only 50$ just give it a shot.

50$ is nothing.

that is what im thinking i just wanted to see what other people thought. i was also thinking ibooks are still selling for 300 or so. so this is a good deal but i dont know how hard its going to be to fix it.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
how does the ibook g4 handle the internet. youtube. java heavy sites.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
It'll handle YouTube fairly well, but expect a little skipping. Java, well, that's a different matter. It probably won't be too fun to use with that,

As for fixing it, the keyboard is easy; undo one screw, two tabs, remove connector, repeat in reverse order. The LCD is harder. But you can find some guides to help you at iFixiT.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
o yea i do have that one. i forgot about it my grandmother has been using it for a little while. lol. hope a little faster.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
thank you all for your help. Have a good day. the bodys are calling me.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
It'll be a great machine for light to medium browsing, iTunes, eMail, maybe some games from earlier part of this decade. I'd recommend you run Tiger on it if it isn't already, Leopard won't be as fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.