Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I'm going into engineering next year (mechanical) and am going to get one of the newly update MacBook Pros but I cannot decide on the high-end 13" or low-end 15". My question is which one will suit me the best, in your opinion?

Now, I probably am going to need design software like CAD, which will be windows only, and I am willing to install windows, so thats not a problem. But is the 13" screen big enough (res: 1280 x 800)? I like the portability factor, and am planning on taking a spare monitor to hook up in my dorm. I have a limited budget and the low end 15" is as high as I will go, I just can't decide.

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one going into Mechanical Engineering on the board :)

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
I'm going into engineering next year (mechanical) and am going to get one of the newly update MacBook Pros but I cannot decide on the high-end 13" or low-end 15". My question is which one will suit me the best, in your opinion?

Now, I probably am going to need design software like CAD, which will be windows only, and I am willing to install windows, so thats not a problem. But is the 13" screen big enough (res: 1280 x 800)? I like the portability factor, and am planning on taking a spare monitor to hook up in my dorm. I have a limited budget and the low end 15" is as high as I will go, I just can't decide.
They are both the same , if you planing to buy and use this computer for the next 5 years i recommend the 15in in the long run it will be more worth it

Neemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
hmmm I was leaning towards the 13" (the $1,499 one (US)), any specific reasons for recommending the 15" or is it just prefered?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
As said, they are the same thing. One is a 13" MacBook and the other is a 15" MacBook.

Only difference is the screen size and resolution. I'd go for the 13" since it is more portable..

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I doubt you'll need the extended color gamut of the new laptops, even for FEA and so on.

Get the previous generation 15" MBP which is on closeout.

Neemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
As said, they are the same thing. One is a 13" MacBook and the other is a 15" MacBook.

Only difference is the screen size and resolution. I'd go for the 13" since it is more portable..
Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking, I knew they were the exact same laptop except for the screen, I was just curious if people thought that the resolution/size difference would affect anything. I like the idea of portability (and its cheaper lol).

Res on 13": 1280 x 800
Res on 15": 1440 x 900

The resolution isn't that much better.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
I doubt you'll need the extended color gamut of the new laptops, even for FEA and so on.

Get the previous generation 15" MBP which is on closeout.

yeah do what he says. They previous gen notebooks are always the better deal compared to whatever Apple has been releasing lately.

Not to mention you'll get more power at the same price. :)

brendel95

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
I also recommend 15 inch previous Macbook pro. Whatever you do with your engineering program (writing an article, programming, CAD......), bigger screen (high resolution) suits better. And 15 inch is portable, too ^^

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
This is really offtopic but I just counted that I've writen over 100 posts in two days and 90% of them were in "which MBP?" threads. lol

Neemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
This is really offtopic but I just counted that I've writen over 100 posts in two days and 90% of them were in "which MBP?" threads. lol
Sorry lol, it's a big investment, I just wanted some opinions before I purchased :)

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
The only thing to remember if considering a prev gen 15" pro vs a new 15" is the better battery life. Two extra hours is significant. And if you are a student, get the student deal and sell your free iPod Touch and the price ends up being about the same as buying a prev gen model.

Cancelled
May 30, 2007
I also recommend 15 inch previous Macbook pro. Whatever you do with your engineering program (writing an article, programming, CAD......), bigger screen (high resolution) suits better. And 15 inch is portable, too ^^

I can't find any of the previous 15 instock for a resonable price. Most of the online dealers still want MORE than the newest release. That's just nuts...

yoyomaster

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2009
If you're going to be using an external monitor, I don't see the need to get the low-end 15-inch, the screen is not too small on my 13-inch macbook. I think you could probably spend the extra 200 saved on a bigger hard-drive, applecare or some other program/accessory

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
hmmm I was leaning towards the 13" (the $1,499 one (US)), any specific reasons for recommending the 15" or is it just prefered?

Don't forget to go for the educational discount ... you'll save $100 on that 13" one. Also check your college's student store. My wife works for UCBerkeley and they often have extra discounts there, like AppleCare included.

As for screen size ... the 15" is 33% bigger and has 26% more pixels. You'll notice the difference. But if I were in your position, I'd go for the high end 13" and use the $200 to buy a decent external monitor.

Neemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Don't forget to go for the educational discount ... you'll save $100 on that 13" one. Also check your college's student store. My wife works for UCBerkeley and they often have extra discounts there, like AppleCare included.

As for screen size ... the 15" is 33% bigger and has 26% more pixels. You'll notice the difference. But if I were in your position, I'd go for the high end 13" and use the $200 to buy a decent external monitor.
This is my stance right now as well :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There will sure be engineering programs taking advantage of OpenCL, given the keynote remark about mathematical precision.

Get the discrete graphics.

manwich

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009

Is the in store discount the same as the online discount?

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
you know im an engineering major to, and i see a lot of thread asking exactly what your asking, and to be honest im pretty sure you could get your degree without even owning a computer.

if you end up using cad and things similar i bet they have a computer lab with computer that are way faster and have way more ram and that can handle those applications better than a mbp.

now im not 100% sure. but i think every school has a computer lab (for general computing) and most will have specialty computing lab. im at a community collage, they have both. even computer science has there own computer lab.

anway, two of my friends have 13in mb and working on them from my 15 is a joke. get the 15.
and since your an engineering major, the weight in your back pack shouldn't be two different. i mean i carry two binders my calc and physics book and my back pack already weighs in at 30 lb. not joking either.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I'd go 13 MBP [the new ones], with Student Discount. Then save the $$$, and get an external monitor ONLY if you need one. Don't get it right off the bat. Wait and see what your needs are...

gordonyz

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
Get 15

Go for the 15' if you want to do some text editing. The 13' is not serious enough to work, so to speak, more like a toy. 15' is 2x better if you work on two A4 size documents the same time on screen. 1280x800 just not enough for dual window editing. Even 1366x768 is not enough.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
The resolution isn't that much better.

26% more pixels can be a significant difference in terms of on-screen real-estate. On the other hand, OS X's Spaces capability mitigates a lot of that if the issue is multiple windows rather than the size of windows. If you run lots of apps with normal-sized windows, the 13" would be fine in that respect. But for CAD modeling and other applications where screen real-estate is intensively used, you need pixels.

The 13" is very nice for portability. Personally, I use every square mm of my 15"'s desktop space, and the 15" is plenty portable. 15" would be my choice, and in fact it will be when I upgrade when the quad-core units come out next year (I'm a virtual machine freak).

The current 15" models are available with more processor speed and more RAM than the current 13"s. Again, depending on your usage, that might be important. Or not. (More RAM is always good.)

Of course, the same logic might apply to the 17" vs. the 15", and you gain battery life as well, in the current models. But the 17" is just too damn big for me. Sure is nice though... there's small but non-zero odds that that's what I'll end up with. IMHO the 15" is the best compromise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.