Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad cow disease

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
My mom's iBook G4 14"/1.42 has a DVD stuck in the drive. Whenever any method is used to eject the dvd, an unpleasant series of grinding noises comes from the area where the drive is and naturally, the drive doesn't eject the DVD. Oddly enough, the DVD plays fine and the drive seems to read the DVD perfectly, so I believe the drive is functional.

I have googled around and found that this drive, brilliantly, appears to have no hardware eject mechanism.

I have three questions:

1.) Is it possible the bezel has shifted and something is physically obstructing the disc from coming out, or is the eject mechanism fubar?

2.) Since sending it out for repair is more $ than it's worth, is it worthwhile to disassemble the iBook on my own and see if I can eject the DVD manually? (I've assembled PCs in my own time from scratch) Assuming if I can get the iBook disassembled (the guide on iFixit is 14 pages or so!), how do I get the disc out without taking apart the drive?

3.) Assuming I am able to get the disc out, is there any way to test the iBook, still disassembled, without putting it all back together only to find out the drive is broken?

Any advice appreciated.

mad cow disease

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
http://www.silvermac.com/2006/dvd-stuck-in-macbook-pro/

Check out this article. I know it is for a MBP, but it could still be relevant for an iBook.

I thought I made this clear, but this isn't an issue of the CD getting stuck in the drive and the computer not recognizing that it is there, but more of an issue that the computer recognizes the presence of a DVD, actually PLAYS the DVD, but will not eject it. It makes some groaning/grinding noises.

Edit: On second look, this might do the trick. Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

herrVebah

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Tap that ...

I know this probably sounds totally ghetto, but try holding the computer at a 45 degree angle so that the slot is facing down and when it starts making the griding noise, tap the bottom of the computer under the superdrive, lightly at first and getting harder until the CD comes out as normal. I have to do this every time I want to get a disc out anymore :cool:

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Grasp your iBook and throw the DVD out.

I know this probably sounds totally ghetto, but try holding the computer at a 45 degree angle so that the slot is facing down and when it starts making the griding noise, tap the bottom of the computer under the superdrive, lightly at first and getting harder until the CD comes out as normal. I have to do this every time I want to get a disc out anymore :cool:

Both of these are actually legit ways to get the disk out. If the disc isn't important you can also try a really thin pair of forceps/tweezers.

agirlasleep

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
Tap that ...

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Another day, another old thread bumped for nothing. Such is life in the PPC Mac forum :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.