Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
I got my macbook last Aug. Dont have any virus protection and i feel like doing a scan. anyone know of any good free virus scans for macbooks???

Perhaps a link too?
Thanks

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I'm glad you feel like scanning for nothing, as there isn't a SINGLE mac virus out there.

There're a couple Trojans, but you actually have to self-install them, and they're only found when you download pirated software (iWork/iLife '09 was the last set)

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
If you want anti-virus software, get it. Just because you may not need it now doesn't mean you'll never need it. Unfortunately, as secure as Mac OS X is, it still isn't truly free from viruses. And one of the biggest reasons there aren't any viruses in the wild is due to low market share.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
If you want anti-virus software, get it. Just because you may not need it now doesn't mean you'll never need it. Unfortunately, as secure as Mac OS X is, it still isn't truly free from viruses. And one of the biggest reasons there aren't any viruses in the wild is due to low market share.

There's a lot more to it than market share. One big one is the way that the Unix core handles user/program permissions. That is essentially what MS was trying to emulate with the UAC in Vista, which people hated.

Gizmodo Explains...

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
There's a lot more to it than market share. One big one is the way that the Unix core handles user/program permissions. That is essentially what MS was trying to emulate with the UAC in Vista, which people hated.

Gizmodo Explains...
Yes, I know. But don't write off "security through obscurity," as they call it, because, like it or not, it is a factor. Maybe not a huge one, but it's still a factor.

There wouldn't be nearly as many Windows viruses as there are if it didn't have such a huge market share. In fact, the vast majority of known Windows viruses came into existence in the mid to late 90s, when Windows really took over in terms of market share. Before that, viruses were much less common, although still more prevalent than on the classic Mac OS.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Yes, I know. But don't write off "security through obscurity," as they call it, because, like it or not, it is a factor. Maybe not a huge one, but it's still a factor.

There wouldn't be nearly as many Windows viruses as there are if it didn't have such a huge market share. In fact, the vast majority of known Windows viruses came into existence in the mid to late 90s, when Windows really took over in terms of market share. Before that, viruses were much less common, although still more prevalent than on the classic Mac OS.

My friend told me that back in the 80's, he put a floppy disc "virus" on his bosses Mac SE that made it have a "puke" sound every time it'd eject a floppy disc...

Mind you, that's how viruses were spread prior to the internet :p

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
its always good to have virus protection. i will look into it and see.....

also, terrible game tonight.. 0-6 vs sox... awful, just awful. go figure ortiz hits a homer..

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Perhaps. But there were viruses for Mac OS 9 and it had smaller market share than Mac OS X. So, doesn't seem like it, does it?

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
My friend told me that back in the 80's, he put a floppy disc "virus" on his bosses Mac SE that made it have a "puke" sound every time it'd eject a floppy disc...

Mind you, that's how viruses were spread prior to the internet :p
Yes, viruses exist for all the major platforms. But Windows is the most popular so it attracts the most attention.

I remember some novelty viruses back in the day. There were some great ones for MS-DOS.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Perhaps. But there were viruses for Mac OS 9 and it had smaller market share than Mac OS X. So, doesn't seem like it, does it?

OS 9 was quite the OS for it's day, albeit outdated. I only ever used it at school, was it really that poorly secured?

Personally, I went OS 3-->OS 7.5-->OS 10.3-->OS 10.5

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
I'm glad you feel like scanning for nothing, as there isn't a SINGLE mac virus out there.

There're a couple Trojans, but you actually have to self-install them, and they're only found when you download pirated software (iWork/iLife '09 was the last set)

I found it completely hilarious that people would download pirated versions of iWork when you can download the full version from Apple.com for free. If you're going to pirate the software, do it the right way and just get the serial.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I found it completely hilarious that people would download pirated versions of iWork when you can download the full version from Apple.com for free. If you're going to pirate the software, do it the right way and just get the serial.

The issue here was people not wanting to pay for it though, not the means of distribution.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
OS 9 was quite the OS for it's day, albeit outdated. I only ever used it at school, was it really that poorly secured?

Personally, I went OS 5-->OS 7.5-->OS 10.3-->OS 10.5
The "classic" Mac OS was well known for its weaknesses, such as the lack of protected memory among other things.

Things like Talingent and Copland were supposed to be much more secure, but they never got off the ground. Fortunately, Steve Jobs came back and turned NeXTstep into Mac OS X.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
:cool::cool:

Thanks for that!

My experience with OS 3.2 (whoops, it was finder 5) was on the Mac Plus, well before the internet, and OS 7.5 was on our family's Performa 577 on the good ol' 33.6kpbs dial-up connection then the v.92 56k which was SMOKIN' fast for the time. Not much going on back then to even get a virus, too young at the time...haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.