Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Looks like ZFS will be for another day and references to it on the OS X pages have been pulled.

Why do I have a feeling that 10.7 is going to be a huge upgrade?

Did anybody notice in the keynote video yesterday how Apple was intentionally wording the possibility of a GUI change for Finder? The wording and the tone felt like he was trying to say "We completely rewrite the Finder in 64bit Cocoa but kept the same GUI because we just want to focus on cleaning up the code but get it ready for future changes like well i dunno...a brand new GUI".

Another reason 10.7 is going to be huge upgrade, now it is one single 64bit kernel codebase that they will just work on. OpenCL/GDC will be even more optimized and this time the new GUI will take advantage of it even more.

Can't wait to see what they can do with 10.7.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Another reason 10.7 is going to be huge upgrade, now it is one single 64bit kernel codebase that they will just work on. OpenCL/GDC will be even more optimized and this time the new GUI will take advantage of it even more.

I know me too but they're going to have to add a lot to get people to cough up 129 George Washingtons.

I figure a new UI is a shoe in
I figure that we'll either get ZFS or a replacement

But what I can't figure is what type of sizzle is Apple going to announce that hooks consumers? Luckily we're two years away from worrying about that.

theking79

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
You can't figure out by going to your widget currency converter yourself?

It's 21 euros or 18 Sterlings.

I was looking for an official price, we get different tax/VAT etc here, thats why i asked, the price wont be the price in dollars simply converted.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Why do I have a feeling that 10.7 is going to be a huge upgrade?

Did anybody notice in the keynote video yesterday how Apple was intentionally wording the possibility of a GUI change for Finder? The wording and the tone felt like he was trying to say "We completely rewrite the Finder in 64bit Cocoa but kept the same GUI because we just want to focus on cleaning up the code but get it ready for future changes like well i dunno...a brand new GUI".

Just look at the Apple.com and other apps redesign to become more finger friendly. The move towards bringing more iPhone like experiences forges a way for a multitouch tablet.

Speaking of which, would it be a MacBook Touch, or a MBP Touch?

Erica Ogg at Cnet sees that gap in the lineup here

APC asks the same thing http://www.macdailynews.com/index.p...book_lineup_paving_the_way_for_macbook_touch/

The MacBOok is white and polycarbonate, but it's a mover - it outperformed some of the the previous generation unibodies.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I was looking for an official price, we get different tax/VAT etc here, thats why i asked, the price wont be the price in dollars simply converted.

Ah, I see what you mean. But if Apple doesn't confirm the UK, neither can any of us here. All I can tell you is what the currency converter can give you as baseline. It will either higher than 21 considering the VAT/Tax you are talking about.

What price do you see for Leopard copy? Is it 129 Euros? It should give you an idea what to expect.

letaalio

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2006
Probably 20-30 pounds.. does it make a huge difference?

When will the NDA be lifted? Will it be in effect till September when SL is released?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Snow Leopard - Intel only

Snow Leopard - Not for PPC users

No Snow Leopard for PowerPC users. Apple's 10.6 list of technical requirements:

- Mac computer with an Intel processor
- 1GB of memory
- 5GB of free disk space
- DVD drive for installation

Since the move over to Intel was done by mid 2006, that's a 3 or more year run, and PPC users can still use Leopard.

Snow Leopard Server:
- Mac with Intel processor
- 2GB of RAM
- 10GB of available disk space

Buying a server on of after June 8? Get an upgrade for $9.95. More info on updating from 10.5 coming June 16, 2009.

10.6, Entourage & Entourage for Exchange Web Services

Apple shows Exchange services of Snow Leopard (which shine when you've got an Exchange 2007 server). Entourage is a not so good Mac version of Outlook. Info from Seth Weintraub:

The hints in the name - 2007. Microsoft waits a day, then... releases information on a new Entourage project - "Exchange Web Services"

Improvements over the current Entourage Exchange support:

• Enhanced Autodiscover service to keep user account settings up to date after account setup
  • Synchronization between Exchange Server & Entourage 2008 Notes, Tasks,, Categories
  • Use of attachments in Entourage for Exchange calendar events
  • An Enable Logging (troubleshooting) preference, for diagnostic information

Bar logging, Apple's showed the other 3 points in Snow Leopard.

More details on Exposé & Dock
Gizmodo provides more details

Exposé has a new look - Windows arranged in a grid with the title of each window appears underneath
Dock_Expose_top.jpg

Stacks - folder contents that pop up from the Dock are tweaked - e.g. You can scroll to see all the files in a stack without clicking the "More" arrow; folders appearing in stacks can be opened and browsed, too

When you click and hold an app icon in the Dock, all the windows open in that app will reveal themselves in the Exposé grid, lined up neatly. Obvious sign of a move to a multitouch friendly/optimised interface?

With a key command/ cursor gesture you can zoom in to one of the open windows, and check it out without leaving Exposé

If you grab a file, you can drag it to the dock and hold it over an app icon. This springs open App and arranges the open windows of that app in Exposé, so you can easily drop the file where it needs to go.

WWDC 2009 Keynote
Stream version here
HD stream version here
Podcast version here

10/6 H.264 Hardware Acceleration, OpenCL requirements
Macrumors

10.6's Specifications page details about hardware support for both H.264 acceleration & OpenCL:

You need a Nvidia 9400M containing Mac for support for H.264 hardware acceleration (I'd imagine they'd open it up to recent Mac Pros too). "Hardware decoding of H.264 video improves the performance of video playback while leaving your computer's CPU free for other tasks"

GPUs supporting OpenCL include:

NVIDIA
Geforce 8600M GT
GeForce 8800 GT
GeForce 8800 GTS
Geforce 9400M
GeForce 9600M GT

GeForce GT 120
GeForce GT 130

ATI
Radeon 4850
Radeon 4870

Quicktime X movie capture doesn't say you need a specific GPU at least.

Benchmark figures

Snow Leopard Server figures
Mail Server Performance 1.7x
File Server Performance (SMB) 2.3x
File Server Performance (NFS) 2.0x
File Server Performance (AFP) 1.3x
Java Server Performance 1.3x

Snow Leopard and Enterprise
Article from ComputerWorld here.
WIth Snow Leopard bringing Exchange Support, and presumably Snow Leopard bringing both that and also it's own alternative, it's looking better.

Attachments

• expose.PNG
    expose.PNG
    873.7 KB · Views: 173

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
A Dev friend has the new build on an external. Coming to borrow it tonight and have a play :)

EDIT: How bout some new screens instead of stuff we already knew :rolleyes:

From giga at GAF

The copy dialog now offers a "keep both" option when two files have the same name:

3613237467_80a14ae6be_o.png

Auto time-zone:

3614056064_4e3c721325_o.png

Services are more useful now under contextual menus:

3614056158_c52fcf3933_o.png

As well as the regular location:

3614056292_8f2d2133a7_o.png

Another example of contextual menus services, finally:

3614056422_e6c617fc47_o.png

Almost everything is 64-bit, these are still 32-bit still (Carbon I suppose):

3614056534_24165a463c_o.png

Airport in the menubar actually shows signal strength, opt+click brings more details than before:

3613238201_e68642f72b_o.png

Flash Player is included by default:

3613238327_f90c772f5e_o.png

If you have an Apple Bluetooth KB, it shows a percentage now instead of the bars:

3613238427_ee04e5a250_o.png

Preview annotations have received a major upgrade. Lots of things you can customize and do now:

3613238661_98bf06de45_o.png

Search result options finally have more sorting options (and you can see screenshots have more useful names):

3614057210_bfe6feaf9a_o.png

Movie/Audio/Screen recording in Quicktime 10:

3614057444_289e0f6317_o.png

Clippings can finally be copy/pasted and Quick Looked:

3613239103_bc8f0a9cc3_o.png

You can delay the unlock screen after sleep/screensaver:

3614057618_94a6767b7c_o.png

Finder can be set to search the current folder by default now:

3614057692_1f278b56f6_o.png

DMG icon finally 512px:

3614057792_abebe362b5_o.png

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
A Dev friend has the new build on an external. Coming to borrow it tonight and have a play :)

Nice post! I'm really excited for Snow Leopard now. It looks very polished!

Are the scroll bars still drawn with the Extras.rsrc file?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Cheers Sky Blue :)

Anyone got questions for those with access to the Developer Preview?

Some starters
- What's happening to ZFS?
- Benchmarks - quantify that Snappyness™ (e.g. manipulating pictures, video etc)
- Any word on that 5GB smaller footprint?
- Most impressive new feature?
- Improvements on a machine by machine basis (i'd imagine the Mac Pro / MBP / 9400M and up users would be v keen to hear on what it can offer currently)
- Does it look on track for September/ earlier/later?
- Looking at GCD, threads, OpenCL etc - how easy to implement?

One thing to note - those that aren't showing yet as 64 bit include iTunes, Front Row, DVD Player. anyone want to wager that we haven't seen all the changes to iTunes, ATV yet? Maybe something June 16/17th? As for grapher - is that scientific? I thuoght they were doing some work on that at WWDC?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Quicktime X hardware acceleration needs to support more GPU IMO

ZFS is probably not gonna be an option until 10.7 and who knows Apple may roll their own as they really don't need Enterprise level features.

OpenCL sounds nice in theory but I think we're a generation of hardware and software away from it becoming a peer level processor for GPGPU needs.

I think Grand Central Dispatch and Blocks is more important at this point. I'm definitely thinking that Aperture, Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio will effectively use it.

Is the OpenGL included 3.0 or 3.1?

Is Automator faster (I hope so especially now that it integrates with Services) ?

What's the status of Resolution Independence and why is this feature the "Duke Nuke'em Forever" of OS X?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
SL WWDC09 DP build 10A380 is leaked.

Umm........yea has a friend on external drive... he says its good. Here's what he noted.

Couple of things to point out [will update continuously]:
1) Dock Expose doesn't seem to work in this build
2) Text Expansion is not like textxpander. There's no keyboard shortcut to expand the text. it takes like 5 sec to change from (c) to the actual symbol the first time but after you start to use it more often, it'll show up immediately. However, there's no system-wide support for it. It depends on Cocoa applications apparently. It won't work in Firefox. For all the Cocoa apps, you must select each "text" field to enable text replacements. Which mean you have to right click, go to Substitutions, Select Text Replacement.
3) Preview takes screenshots from File Menu, Annotations seem to work on all image files as well, not just PDF. Can put multiple PDFs in one Preview Window.
4) Safari with "crash resistance" You can see the flash player as a separate process.
screenshoton20090610at4g.png

5) Quicklook Full Screen is really full screen, it takes up the whole screen. For example, if you have a PDF, it'll fill the width of the pdf to the screen, not fit the PDF to the page size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.