Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaifish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I have an ibook G4 14" 1.45GHZ PPC and it has been acting odd for quiet some time. At one point I downloaded a program called citrix and from that point on I was getting Kernal panics and it would not even let me load up. I heard something moving inside and blew in it, seemed to boot the computer fully then a kernal panic would appear.

Anyway, after all of this fussing around it booted long enough to get me into target disk and decided to install leopard and it failed within two minutes. I got mad and decided wipe the hard drive clean, as I was doing this, it wiped clean then it was unable to partition. I tried several other things over a couple of days of letting it run. Eventual I gave up and turned it off, now it will not turn on at all.

There is no chime for the start up. Is this normal for a fried hard drive? I know the hard drive is done, but I want to know if it is worth buying a new one to put in. I also am curious if this is a logic board problem. I was having issues with it booting up, but no picture. This was all during the kernal panic time.

Ideally I would like to buy a new hard drive, install it and have it work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Sounds kind of like when my drive died in my G4 iBook.

I reformatted and reinstalled, and everything was cool. Then it went to crap a couple weeks later, and I couldn't wipe/reinstall again, as it would hang part way though.

$75 later, I had a brand new HDD and it ran like a champ till I got my UMB.

jaifish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Thank you for the fast reply. I tried to reformat and reinstall, but it would not even let me try. It crapped out super fast. It is screwed now.

What is a UMD?

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I also had a G4 ibook's HD recently fail. It was not being used much anymore
anyway. But I decided to NOT buy a new HD for it due to several factors.

-Its slow as molasses compared to anything remotely current
-Its really an expert level hassle to replace the hd on the ibook-
-way too far behind the curve to keep software up to date/just not supported

jaifish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I dont mind that it is out of date. My mom would like it to surf the internet and use word. Just something portable for her to do some simple tasks. I am also curious where the cheapest place would be to get a new/ use HDD in Canada.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.