Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Hello everyone!

I was researching a bit on the iPhone OS version History, and I put together this Chart...:p
well, I would love to have all of the IPSW files (of all the devices), just for the sake of having them, in case I need one, for back-up, update, etc...
I know some of them are paid updates (for the iPod Touch)... but anything that you can post, (as long as it is legal, and directly from Apple), I'll be more than grateful!

Thanks a LOT!!:D

Attachments

• iPhone OS Versions.png
    iPhone OS Versions.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 3,017

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Anyone tried installing the 3G S firmware on a 3G? Just wondering if the video/voice options work. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why these should only be 3G S features as there are apps in the App Store that have voice control (not to mention Apple's own Voice Memo app which works on a 3G) and video works if you use a JB app.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
It doesn't work like that. There is a different file for the various models.

For the iPhone 3G, the file will be iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw when it appears on Apple's server.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Is it possible to hack the firmware version checking - from iPhone2,1 (3G S) to iPhone1,2 (3G).:confused:

Dude, you aren't going to get it to work that way. They have different CPUs, GPUs and baseband hardware along with a different WiFi chip and camera module. If you did manage to get it on there, the very least of your problems will be drivers will be completely different and won't work on the iPhone 3G.

What you are trying to do is no different to running the iPhone ipsw on an iPod touch.

You would be more likely to be successful after jailbreaking copying individual applications (that are patched) over from the iPhone 3GS decrypted image over to an iPhone 3G ipsw. I imagine this is what the jailbreaking guys might try.

Juggernaut510

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
So this firmware is for the Iphone 3GS and not the IPHONE 3G?

So this firmware is for the Iphone 3GS and not the IPHONE 3G?

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003
Dude, you aren't going to get it to work that way. They have different CPUs, GPUs and baseband hardware along with a different WiFi chip and camera module. If you did manage to get it on there, the very least of your problems will be drivers will be completely different and won't work on the iPhone 3G.

What you are trying to do is no different to running the iPhone ipsw on an iPod touch.

You would be more likely to be successful after jailbreaking copying individual applications (that are patched) over from the iPhone 3GS decrypted image over to an iPhone 3G ipsw. I imagine this is what the jailbreaking guys might try.

If apple let you, running the iPhone ipsw on your iPod touch really wouldn't be a problem. The other way around, perhaps, as you'd be missing kexts, etc to communicate with the baseband, etc. Having extra 'drivers' isn't much of a problem (Case in point: Your mac has drivers for example, tons of video cards that your machine certainly doesn't have in it. If you take your macbook pro hard drive out and try and boot an iMac with it, it will 99% of the time work no problems.

In any case, there may be some missing functionality, etc... but it also might just work. If anyone wants to try modifying plists and getting iTunes to allow the flash, give it a shot.. I'm fairly certain the plists are not signed.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f201/75396.htm

I'm not saying its going to work... but it might (If you remember correctly some people installed the 3G 2.0 fw on their 2G phones successfully).

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Anyone tried installing the 3G S firmware on a 3G? Just wondering if the video/voice options work. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why these should only be 3G S features as there are apps in the App Store that have voice control (not to mention Apple's own Voice Memo app which works on a 3G) and video works if you use a JB app.

it wont work because the different arm processor in the iPhone 3G S (arm6 in 3G vs arm7 in 3G S). but maybe theyre backward compatible? possibly

Philster

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009

Yes. I installed OS 3.0 build 7A341 which is for the 3G. No video or voice control. Remember that the 3G S is much faster than the 3G. I had the Cycorder on my jailbreaked 2.2.1 and it wasn't great -- better than nothing, but it certainly wasn't up to Apple standards (all respect to the developer) -- same with the apps that have voice control.

I must say that the 3.0 software has been rock solid and very quick on my 3G. (I do miss some of my jailbreak apps, though!)

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK
So it's the 17th... where the hell is the update! They didn't say it won't be released until 6pm or something so it should be here for us to download!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.