Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neevan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
I have 15" classic MBP(non-uni).

This week i purchased creative 5.1 speaker system.
Cable which connects from MBP to Speaker system has three pins on bath sides.....

one end three pins are going to speaker input....when i connect any pin of the other end to my MBP ,only the front 2 speakers are working...

my 5.1 speaker system doesn't have optical input(but has auxillary input).

i found that TOSLINK mini-plug pin will work if speaker system has optical input...

is there any other alternative for me to get the sound from all 5speakers...

i just need sound from all 5speakers no doldy effect or 5.1 surround...

Please help me...

Thanks in advance

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
I have 15" classic MBP(non-uni).

This week i purchased creative 5.1 speaker system.
Cable which connects from MBP to Speaker system has three pins on bath sides.....

one end three pins are going to speaker input....when i connect any pin of the other end to my MBP ,only the front 2 speakers are working...

my 5.1 speaker system doesn't have optical input(but has auxillary input).

i found that TOSLINK mini-plug pin will work if speaker system has optical input...

is there any other alternative for me to get the sound from all 5speakers...

i just need sound from all 5speakers no doldy effect or 5.1 surround...

Please help me...

Thanks in advance

The simplest way is to get a AV Receiver that has a toslink input. Then you can use passive speakers. I've seen good working AV receivers in thrift stores for $40.

EDIT: Some of the mid-level audio interfaces can monitor suround sound, they have analog outputs for 5.1 or 7.1 But when you look at the price the AV receiver is cheaper. For example look at this
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Saffire/
You are still best off using the AV Receiver as it will do all the decoding has a big built-in amp, remote control and so on.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
A Griffin Firewave will do this. But, just getting sound out of all 5 is very different from surround sound or something. You can get splitters to make the stereo feed go into multiple speakers. The Firewave will spread the sound out a bit, but not as well as you might like to 5.1.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
If you simply just need sound. Radioshack makes a spillter that has three outputs, similar to this, it's not on their online store, but if you go to the actual store, they have them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.