Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawrmac

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
I don't know much about computers, and i'm worried it will slow down my macbook. i have a aluminum macbook with a 2.4GHz processor and 4GB of memory. Will it run well?

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
installation is easy and quick!

Also, it doesn't slow ur laptop down. a 2.4GHZ with 4GB will run it smoothly.

It does however slow your system down after u quit the game due to the way macbook dedicates the ram, etc etc etc a quick restart or a 2-4min wait will smooth things back to normal

Peikko

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
OCZ or Crucial

Kind of off-topic, but still - Don't know about Crucial, but I've had two friends rage on OCZ for shipping shot RAM in a box. In case anyone's on the fence to go with one or the other and looking for some info.

theARNSKI

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
I'm running off 2gigs of ram and it does fairly well. Very playable. But I am considering doing a ram upgrade to 4gigs once the paycheck rolls in.

SilentGreg

macrumors member
Somewhat off topic -- what do you guys and gals think of the game? I skipped over The Sims 2 as I didn't have the time nor money to start a new collection after The Sims. The Sims 3 looks very promising; thoughts?

I would be playing on a Windows PC, my MacBook is too old to run The Sims 3. (Original Core Duo)

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Somewhat off topic -- what do you guys and gals think of the game? I skipped over The Sims 2 as I didn't have the time nor money to start a new collection after The Sims. The Sims 3 looks very promising; thoughts?

I would be playing on a Windows PC, my MacBook is too old to run The Sims 3. (Original Core Duo)

It's a very interesting game. I love the no loading screens, and the graphics do look nice when boosted up to full (Although you do lose a little bit of performance - I find it lags ever so slightly on my Macbook (see specs in sig)). In fact, you've made me want to play it now! DAMN YOU! I have revision to do!
;):p

teksurv

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
San Diego, CA
It's a very interesting game. I love the no loading screens, and the graphics do look nice when boosted up to full (Although you do lose a little bit of performance - I find it lags ever so slightly on my Macbook (see specs in sig)). In fact, you've made me want to play it now! DAMN YOU! I have revision to do!
;):p

This may seem like a silly question, but I noticed you have the same Nvidia Whitebook that I do. Do your fans run full blast when playing Sims 3? Mine do (Mac version), and that's the only real issue I have otherwise great game!

twinings

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
sorry to be a pain - am new here, just wondered how the X3100 videocard was holding up for the graphics as other users seem to have the unibody with nvidea graphics cards...

(2.1 GHz white macbook, 120GB HD, X3100 video card and currently only 1GB RAM)

Same here! I was wondering if anyone had a macbook with the X1300 and the shop version of the Sims 3? My specs are:
2.4 GHz
Intel 2 Core Duo processor
250GB Hard Drive
4GB RAM
800 MHz
Integrated Intel X1300 with 144MB VRAM

(It's a White, not an aluminium Macbook)

I suppose my main question was how fast would the game be with these specs? I don't mind about graphics at all, so long as the game itself doesn't 'lag' or stutter. Also, is the RAM or the video card more important for this?

Thanks so much for your help!

pepitko

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
I've installed Sims 3 on my MacBook Pro two days ago, and the game is running quite slow, for my taste.

My specs: Aluminum MacBook Pro, Core2Duo @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB 667 MHz RAM, 160 GB HDD, GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB VRAM.

I run the game at medium settings and at 1440x900, same as my Mac. The game lags quite badly especially when there's too much lighting (night) or when there are many sims around (parties, downtown). Do you think it's worth upgrading to 4GB RAM? Or is the VRAM too much of a drag?

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
This may seem like a silly question, but I noticed you have the same Nvidia Whitebook that I do. Do your fans run full blast when playing Sims 3? Mine do (Mac version), and that's the only real issue I have otherwise great game!

Yep, fans are always belting out noise. Tbh, I usually stop listening to them, so it's alright for me.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I've installed Sims 3 on my MacBook Pro two days ago, and the game is running quite slow, for my taste.

My specs: Aluminum MacBook Pro, Core2Duo @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB 667 MHz RAM, 160 GB HDD, GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB VRAM.

I run the game at medium settings and at 1440x900, same as my Mac. The game lags quite badly especially when there's too much lighting (night) or when there are many sims around (parties, downtown). Do you think it's worth upgrading to 4GB RAM? Or is the VRAM too much of a drag?

I turned all the settings up high with the highest res mine could take 1680x1050. The lag IMO isn't that bad :S - I'm not a heavy gamer so maybe I don't mind the odd little lag? :S

guymarble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Does anyone else's game crash continuously?

After about an hour the game just closes and goes back to the desktop with no message or anything, which is really annoying since I don't get a chance to save and all my progress.

I am playing it on my Mac Pro and have 2GB's of RAM, would upgrading to 4GB help, or is it a common problem?

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I turned all the settings up high with the highest res mine could take 1680x1050. The lag IMO isn't that bad :S - I'm not a heavy gamer so maybe I don't mind the odd little lag? :S

Same here man, I don't even use ddr3 ram with the nVidia chip and it runs surprisingly well at full blast.

Does anyone else's game crash continuously?

After about an hour the game just closes and goes back to the desktop with no message or anything, which is really annoying since I don't get a chance to save and all my progress.

I am playing it on my Mac Pro and have 2GB's of RAM, would upgrading to 4GB help, or is it a common problem?

Not crashed once for me... Confusing, since you have one of the most powerful Macs ever ;)

sexynsas

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
sims 3 wont work on my mac book

hey how did u get it to work on urs?

it said it installed sucessfully then says it needs an rmb right hand mouse.. i dont understand lol

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
U dont really need a RHM as u can always just use the trackpad and keyboard controls.

Also, mine has never crashed o_O

sbibbo

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
the sims 3 runs awesomely on my aluminum macbook with 4gb ram, i love that game!

Hi, I recently installed 4GB RAM to my macbook pro (2007) (originally 2GB) that has over half space left (67GB) on HD, 2.2 GHz intel core 2 duo processor and Sims3 still runs incredibly SLOW! Am I doing something wrong?

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Hi, I recently installed 4GB RAM to my macbook pro (2007) (originally 2GB) that has over half space left (67GB) on HD, 2.2 GHz intel core 2 duo processor and Sims3 still runs incredibly SLOW! Am I doing something wrong?

Hmm that's odd. Tried cranking down the graphics?

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Hi i want to know if theres any way to minimize the game so i can quickly check other things on my macbook (email, etc etc)

Cause its annoying to close the game every time i want to check something on my macbook and then have to open the game again and wait for the loadings, etc etc

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
Hi i want to know if theres any way to minimize the game so i can quickly check other things on my macbook (email, etc etc)

Cause its annoying to close the game every time i want to check something on my macbook and then have to open the game again and wait for the loadings, etc etc

Pause it. Then press Command and Tab.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK

Pause it. Then press Command and Tab.

Also a good idea to do Command-Enter to make it not full screen first :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.