Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool

PaperMacWriter

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
500MHz G4 Cube - Flat out cool!
20" iMac G4 - Perfect as a movie viewer!
PowerBook G4 Titanium - They look stunning
Apple IIc+ - The coolest of the Apple IIs
iBook Clamshell 466MHz Graphite - The classiest of all the iBooks

I'll own them all someday.. when I have more money to blow on stuff I won't really use(except the iMac, I'd use that). The Cube is top of my list though. Best design to come out of Cupertino. I have a banner of it hanging on my bedroom door:D
SG :apple:

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
First the usual that are popular and are just plain cool:

Apple //gs
The 20'th anniversery Mac.
The cube

After that:

A Powerbook Duo with the docking station. Its the only (as far as I know) laptop computer that has a powered docking station for inserts and ejects.
An XServe with the discontinued Apple RAID array. They matched and looked good, as well as performed quite well.

OnTrack Studios

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Orlando, FL
I have pretty much all the vintage macs i've ever wanted except for a white iMac G5 or Intel. If I didn't have the G4 I'd probably have one of those. Having two iMacs set up is a bit much (1 br apartment). But my favorite of all my Macs is my Powerbook 12". I do all my real work on my MBP but I enjoy using the 12" more. Great size, quick for it's age, and reminds me of the era of Macs that really got me to turn my back on PC's forever.

Dojan5

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2009
iBook Clamshell and iMac G4. I still remember the Ad for iMac G4, and I thought it was the most beautiful computer I've ever seen. It still looks modern.
I have a Power Macintosh 5500/275 Executives Edition though.

Str8edgepunker

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
What I'd want if my old mac obsession continues:

iMac G4
TAM
Powerbook G3 Pismo
G4 Cube

I've already got several things I've wanted but that would probably complete the list. For now. :D

wackymacs

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I wouldn't mind a Mac Pro and all the other latest Apple gear...but I don't have any real *need* for 'em. I'll focus on older machines instead.

Off the top of my head...

- Fully loaded and upgraded Macintosh IIfx.
- Quadra 700 and 840AV would also be nice, as they are so expandable.
- A Macintosh SE/30 with 128MB RAM, some form of expansion card in the PDS slot, and internal CF storage.
- A fully loaded G4 Cube would be VERY nice, but they will always fetch high prices on eBay. :(

Many people list the TAM, but in reality the hardware itself isn't very special, and the machine isn't much of a great performer. Shame Apple couldn't get a balance of good performance and good design back then.

I would list a few PowerBooks, as some were very nice to look at, but again the hardware didn't perform well (mostly), the displays were usually awful, and the reliability was questionable. The 5300 comes to mind - what an oddball that was!

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I'm getting the one I always wanted! The 12" Powerbook!
It's a launch version (867mhz) I'm gonna clean it up and make it a nice little coffee table computer.

I really like my Black macbook though, it's been very dependable, and it's quick enough to run the photo apps I need. (Planning on a 500GB 7200rpm drive in the very near future)

I also have the 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro (15") I gave it to my dad as his first mac, but he's been using it as a desktop, I think I might take it back and have him buy an iMac ;)

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Technically, even the very first iMac is not "vintage", as it would have to be at least fifteen-years-old to qualify as that.

Anywho, is it common that my very first iMac (266MHz from 1999), which officially came in a box identified as "Blueberry" and classified as revision B, is encased in a "Bondi" shell with matching Bondi keyboard and mouse? I hated that awful color-- not quite green, and not quite blue.

As for the much beloved iMac G4, wasn't there a problem with the display in many of the 20" models being crooked?

OnTrack Studios

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Orlando, FL
Technically, even the very first iMac is not "vintage", as it would have to be at least fifteen-years-old to qualify as that.

Anywho, is it common that my very first iMac (266MHz from 1999), which officially came in a box identified as "Blueberry" and classified as revision B, is encased in a "Bondi" shell with matching Bondi keyboard and mouse? I hated that awful color-- not quite green, and not quite blue.

As for the much beloved iMac G4, wasn't there a problem with the display in many of the 20" models being crooked?

I know the early 15" models had neck issues, but I believe the issue was resolved in later revisions. My 17" has no issues, physically. The only flaw is it won't go to sleep on its own. And a Mac doesn't have to be 15 years old to be vintage. I bought a 500mhz iBook in 2007 and I called Apple because the backlight went out and the first thing they said was, "Oh! You have one of our vintage machines!!"

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I know the early 15" models had neck issues, but I believe the issue was resolved in later revisions. My 17" has no issues, physically. The only flaw is it won't go to sleep on its own. And a Mac doesn't have to be 15 years old to be vintage. I bought a 500mhz iBook in 2007 and I called Apple because the backlight went out and the first thing they said was, "Oh! You have one of our vintage machines!!"

I still have my 15" G4, and except for the LCD display, which I suppose due to the technology of the time, looks washed-out unless viewing straight on, never had any issues hardware issues. They really were great.

Of course nowadays, if you were to bring in your G5 iMac to the Apple store, they would be calling it not just vintage, but probably ancient, as when I brought in my G5, the Genius said, "Well, it is over 3 years old..."

OnTrack Studios

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Orlando, FL
I still have my 15" G4, and except for the LCD display, which I suppose due to the technology of the time, looks washed-out unless viewing straight on, never had any issues hardware issues. They really were great.

Of course nowadays, if you were to bring in your G5 iMac to the Apple store, they would be calling it not just vintage, but probably ancient, as when I brought in my G5, the Genius said, "Well, it is over 3 years old..."

lol that's like an eternity in Apple years. But since the intels have come out they havn't really changed all THAT much. My 2.16ghz MacBook Pro isn't really outdated yet. So as long as you've crossed over you should be good for a while as far as OS compatibility.

OnTrack Studios

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Orlando, FL

Yea I know what you're saying about the display. My 12" is incomparable to my intel MBP 15". The brightness is so much dimmer.

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I'm working on getting one of the late OS9-bootable dual 1.25ghz G4's. I really like the design and the speed would be good enough to be a main machine for me.

SomeSwede

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Land of ice and snow.
When i have enough space and some spare cash i intend to buy some of the most memorable Macs.

First the original, the Mac 128K or a Plus. Secondly a G4 Cube. It is probably the best looking of all Macs of that era. And finally a Bondi blue iMac, the computer that shook the world.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Clear Macintosh SE
Working SE-30
Mac IIfx
TAM
Indigo or Graphite iMac
Indigo or Graphite iBook
TiBook
Powerbook 12"
Powermac G5 Dual 2.0 (I miss mine :p)

image.php

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
Reminiscing on MacRumors

Has to be G4 Cube.

Loved it when displayed with the SoundSticks II speakers in John Lewis. Couldn't afford it. At the same time bought my first Mac myself a Blue Dalmatian iMac. When I could afford the cube it wasn't avaliable so bought the Soundsticks II. Still think of it when I see them there.

Aaaah.

John

P.S. Cunning caveat on the opening post - The Mac I always want is the one more thing mac!

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
a Newton (to go with my eMate 300)
a Cube with matching ACD
a Wallstreet (man, did I ever lust after one when they were out)
12" iBook G4

gillboyswims96

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
i want a g3 clamshell in either blue orange or key lime they are soo... creative...

and the old (white) iMac the one before the current one, but it has to have a iSight :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.