Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
I installed google chrome for mac and love it, it looks sick and its fast. Oh but theres one problem, youtube or any video site wont work on it

I just installed safari 4 and it completely does not work. It will load a site and I cant do anything on it. Nothing clicks, I cant scroll, nothing. Its not frozen, I can move it around my desktop and go under the preferences, but I literally cant use it.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I installed google chrome for mac and love it, it looks sick and its fast. Oh but theres one problem, youtube or any video site wont work on it

I just installed safari 4 and it completely does not work. It will load a site and I cant do anything on it. Nothing clicks, I cant scroll, nothing. Its not frozen, I can move it around my desktop and go under the preferences, but I literally cant use it.

On a Mac you cant get safari 4 working? From software update? Did you try a reboot? I haven't heard of that, and I use safari 4 on all of my systems.

shollingsw3

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2007
Have you looked at Camino? It uses the same Mozilla engine that Firefox does, but it fits into the look and feel of Mac OS X better.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You might want to trash the preferences file for Safari to see if that remedies the issue (located in ~/Library/Preferences/). Alternative browsers you may want to try: Opera and Camino. I like all the browsers on Mac really, but stick with Firefox because of the add-ons I use as a web developer.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
I just installed it from apple site and it automatically restarted my computer. Honestly, I just deleted safari right now just because I dont feel like dealing with it. Plus, the beta was alot better with the tabs on top.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Opera
Camino
Shiira
OmniWeb
iCab
Flock

There are plenty of other browsers out there as well.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Wow, there must be something wrong with ur mac, cause I never heard anyone who has such experience with Safari 4 like you did. And yeah, I prefer the tabs to be on the top too, pity so far there is no hacks to place it on the top.

Actually I love the new Safari 4, tested it in beta version and now although I really miss the top bar feature, Safari 4 finally does not crash when Flash laods!! The biggest issue I had with Safari 4 Beta was how easily Safari crashes when some flash script loads, problem solved though...so far with Safari 4 :D

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Several posters mentioned Camino, the latest stable version is very good, but the nightly versions are even better.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/camino/nightly/

You can even use CaminoKnight, available at http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8560/caminoknight
to update the new build easily (use the URL below in the preferences for CaminoKnight - user-defined build - to get the latest version:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/camino/nightly/latest-2.0-M1.9/camino.dmg
I have found this to be fast and very stable, with a very mac-like interface.
YMMV:cool:

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
What's your beef with Firefox?

Nothing, its good, i just want somthing nicer looking I guess. I love how chrome hardly has anything except the page itself. No bar at the bottom, really simple top part. It leaves alot more room for the actual page. the only problem is that I cant watch any videos on it which is completely dumb that they came out with it and it cant do that.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sounds like somehow you broke your safari install. Safari works fine on OSX or windows for me.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio

Are you using crossover chromium? because google hasn't released google chrome for mac

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Nothing, its good, i just want somthing nicer looking I guess. I love how chrome hardly has anything except the page itself. No bar at the bottom, really simple top part. It leaves alot more room for the actual page. the only problem is that I cant watch any videos on it which is completely dumb that they came out with it and it cant do that.

I use the Chromium theme for Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8782

Makes it look exactly like Google Chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.