Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjh84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Hello all,

I did have a quick look for similar threads but found none. I've had my mac for over 4 years now and am very pleased with it however, in the last year or so it has begun to suspend when it is under some stress. I'm just quickly going to sight some examples to make it easier to read.

It suspends when:
Streaming video from certain sites
Browser has more than 1 video and tab open on Youtube
Playing some simple flash games

It is almost all video related it seems. Sometimes it happens right after a fresh boot up, sometimes it can take hours. It will run fine with multiple programs open but it seems to take exception to video and flash, playing video from the hard drive or watching DVD's works fine though.

What exactly happens:
The computer suddenly stops and goes into suspend mode.
It is almost instantly cancelled with the touch of a mouse.
The suspend will continue to happen as long as the video windows remain open.

I'm running:
Mac OS X 10.4.11
Processor 1.9 GHz PowerPC G5
2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM (Upgraded myself a few years ago I do not suspect the problem is related)

I do not think this is an over heating issue because to prevent that I have a fan pointed at the back of the computer and it remains cool to the touch.

It is an older machine and I do intend on replacing it but not at the moment. Other then streaming video and playing the occasional game there is nothing wrong with it. Any idea's and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, no one likes it when their computer stops working properly! lol

Cuda

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Seems Flash related, try video sites with QuickTime like http://apple.com/quicktime see if it's only flash.

If it is Flash Only:

1. Update to the latest Flash.
2. Try to remove/reinstall flash.
3. Do a Fresh Clean install of OS X and all updates.
4. See if you can downgrade to an older Flash that may have worked better for 10.4.11 and your iMac.

I'd say one of those will fix it, if not I'd look at moving to 10.5.x, as more testing for Flash is done here.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.