Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino1956

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
I have an Apple TV & I'm getting the older version of the Time Capsule 500GB.
I'm going to connect my Mac Mini to the Time Capsule via Gigabit Ethernet. I'm not using the Time Capsule's Internal Drive for Time Machine! Instead, I want to use it for my entire iTunes Library. I would be Streaming (not Synching) to the Apple TV. I would point iTunes to the iTunes Folder on the Time Capsule Hard Drive. Also, the Apple TV would be Wireless (no Ethernet). Has anyone accomplished this Set Up successfully?

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
Yep, well more or less ;), my time capsule connects wirelessly to my iMac. and my library was on a NAS drive connected through ethernet to the Time Capsule, which worked well.

I've now re-jigged things and my NAS is connected directly to my iMac through Ethernet, which is similar to the set up you are going for, and it still streams perfectly well to Apple TV, wirelessly via my Time Capsule on 5Ghz N.

Dino1956

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Thank you for the detailed answer. One other Question: Not sure if I should set Time Capsule to "N" or "B&G" ? I'm thinking "N" since the TV has "N" (draft). But my other Mac, an eMac has Airport "B" and my PC is Wireless "G". Most of the time if I'm running the TV, I won't even have the eMac or the PC on. What is your opinion? Thanks again!

pekedey

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
I would say set it to "N." B and G wireless cards can still connect to N (though they won't enjoy the speed of N cards) so there's no reason to gimp your time capsule/ATV.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
your wireless network is only as fast as the slowest connection, so if the time capsule is in N with B/G compatibility mode, and the eMac connects, your whole network will drop to B speeds. shouldn't be a problem for audio files, but video and especially HD video might have issues. They should be fine on G.

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
My TC is one of the old ones that can't run dual band. To get round this I have an Airport Express connected to it that provides the 2.4GHz B/G part of the network for my iPods, laptop and Wii, whilst my TC is broadcasting at 5GHz N that my iMac and :apple:TV connect to. This way I don't get the speed drop on the N network When something connects to the G. it still works as one network but with two ways to connect, either B/G or N.

All that being said, IIRC I didn't have a problem with streaming over the G, I only really did it because I could ( I had the Airport Express for AirTunes anyway, this just made more use of it)

Have a look at this if you fancy the dual-band setup:

http://tntluoma.com/apple/notes-on-a-dual-mode-airport-extreme-network/

Dino1956

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
My TC is the old one (not Dual Band). I would not have the B&G computers powered on when using TV. And my main Mac with the iTunes app will be wired by Gigabit Ethernet. So as long as the B&G computers are not booted up, it would not slow down the N signal for my TV. Is this my thinking correct ?Reason I'm not using my old router with TC, is because it's an old cheaper Belkin & one of my reasons for getting TC, was to not use the Belkin anymore.
Thanks!

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
So as long as the B&G computers are not booted up, it would not slow down the N signal for my TV. Is this my thinking correct ?
That's what I've read, seems to be the case.

Reason I'm not using my old router with TC, is because it's an old cheaper Belkin & one of my reasons for getting TC, was to not use the Belkin anymore.

One of my reasons for getting the TC too, I just use my broadband suppliers wireless modem/router as the modem now (wireless turned off) and the TC is the router.

Dino1956

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Yea well I have AT&T DSL & I use a Netopia Modem/Router. They say it's a router but it only has one Ethernet Port & it is not Wireless, so I have the cheap Belkin $39.99 small G router for my Wired & Wireless. I would rather use the Time Capsule's router functions without the Belkin in the loop. Most of the time I only have the Mac Mini on, so that will be wired & the Time Capsule's N should communicate nicely with my TV. So I'll try it on N & see how it goes. Believe or not, I get great signal with the eMac Airport B Card. So I'm thinking, Apple has to make a better Wireless router than the Belkin I own.

Dino1956

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Just to add: I have had problems with TV losing Synch with iTunes. It turns out a lot of my files, although organized, were brought over from the Windows side, & after racking my brain for months, I found out iTunes was corrupt from certain files. I tried everything from opening ports on my router to using a test account. It even lost synch when wired via ethernet. That's when I knew it was more than wireless interference. I think I have that panned out finally.

Dino1956

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Update:

TV synching problem still not resolved! Thought it was corrupt files but I was wrong. Opened ports on my router. And it's not wireless Problem because I tried TV to Mac Mini via Ethernet & it also lost Synch. I also reformatted (Erase & Install) my Mac Mini. Tried a Test Account, etc..I'm more & more thinking it's the TV itself. I have it plugged to my eMac as a test. So far it's synching & the eMac has Wireless "B' Airport Card. Go Figure! :) The Mini was plugged into router via Ethernet. I'm at the end of my rope. I wonder if it will get worse or be better with the Time Capsule & the way I plan to set it up. Thanks!

Dino1956

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Resolved

Apple TV synching problem resolved. Although I still think it was & maybe still is a port interference problem (USB interfering with Ethernet). But now that I am using Time Capsule as my Router & connecting from My Mini to the Time Capsule through Gigabit Ethernet, iTunes NEVER loses synch with the Apple TV. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.