Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I keep reading about how people are waking up early for the fedex guy/gal. Do they really ship early in the morning around 8? Also can we just pick it up at the fedex store to avoiding waiting?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Here at WA, they usually come around my neighborhood around 11AM so I think it depends where you're located at.

Switz213

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Okay. Apple ships em out early. Fedex holds them until the 19th. They get put on your trucks that day. Whenever the fedex guy normally gets around your house during your route, thats when it will be dropped off. WE have no way of knowing when that point in time is, so yeah...

wr1020

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
No one can answer this question for you, all depends on the route of your local fedex truck. For me fedex tends to deliver between 10 am and 1 pm and UPS typically between 1pm-5pm. I really hope it gets here earlier in the morning, i can't wait anymore.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I keep reading about how people are waking up early for the fedex guy/gal. Do they really ship early in the morning around 8? Also can we just pick it up at the fedex store to avoiding waiting?

How long is a piece of string?

mac-mania

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2005
Oh boy oh boy I love these threads right when a new product is announced.

I'm the worst, my guy always comes after 1, and yet, I get the day off, I get up at 7 and basically wait ... and wait ... and wait and check the window everytime I hear a car ... then wait more.

And the problem is, lately I've been doing this way too much.

Betelgeuse

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Yeah. This is a real personal thing. Your only hope of getting any answer that will help you is if someone from down your street posts here. Fedex can deliver any time between 8am and 7pm depending on where you are on the driver's route.

Oh. And you almost certainly can not go to the central FedEx location to pick it up on Friday; you can generally only do this after they've made an attempt to deliver.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Oh boy oh boy I love these threads right when a new product is announced.

I'm the worst, my guy always comes after 1, and yet, I get the day off, I get up at 7 and basically wait ... and wait ... and wait and check the window everytime I hear a car ... then wait more.

And the problem is, lately I've been doing this way too much.

I hadn't been on the Mac in a few hours, but when I got back on, I sure smiled when I saw this thread. My first thought was "...and so it begins!".

I enjoy being part of the launch of a new product. I was in line for the 1st gen, skipped the 3G (I'm on wifi most of the time and have GPS in the Jeep), but the new CPU/GPU pushed me over the edge last night. This time, though, I'll be camped out in my recliner waiting for the "wells fargo wagon" ;)

aarcarr

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Okay. Apple ships em out early. Fedex holds them until the 19th. They get put on your trucks that day. Whenever the fedex guy normally gets around your house during your route, thats when it will be dropped off. WE have no way of knowing when that point in time is, so yeah...

Yeah. This is a real personal thing. Your only hope of getting any answer that will help you is if someone from down your street posts here. Fedex can deliver any time between 8am and 7pm depending on where you are on the driver's route.

Oh. And you almost certainly can not go to the central FedEx location to pick it up on Friday; you can generally only do this after they've made an attempt to deliver.

It will ship when they say it will ship. FedEx will not hold on to your package if they get it early just because Apple wants them to, they get way too many packages to be able to keep track of what to hold for how long and what not to. Especially for bulk shipments like these. Apple will ship when they want you to get it. You can easily put a hold on your package and pick it up at the FedEx terminal if it is BEFORE the van leaves for delivery or after it gets back in the evening.

Switz213

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
It will ship when they say it will ship. FedEx will not hold on to your package if they get it early just because Apple wants them to, they get way too many packages to be able to keep track of what to hold for how long and what not to. Especially for bulk shipments like these. Apple will ship when they want you to get it. You can easily put a hold on your package and pick it up at the FedEx terminal if it is BEFORE the van leaves for delivery or after it gets back in the evening.

Excuse me. Yes. They will.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Depends which overnight service is used. Standard is by 3 PM, Priority is 10:30 AM for most areas.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
My experiences with FedEx are as follows. Of course these vary from location to location:

- All trucks are loaded and on the road by 6:00AM.
- Deliveries to my house are no later than 11:30AM, except near Christmas, then they come as late as 8:00PM, sometimes with multiple stops at my house the same day.
- I've never been able to pick up a package at a FedEx depot until at least 1 delivery attempt was made. I've been told (numerous times) they need to attempt to deliver it at least once before you can pick it up.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
All FedEx packages are delivered at exactly 10:56AM. ;)

That's almost the exact same snarky comment I was going to leave, until I decided to give an actual, helpful response.

The FedEx man will show up at either the exact moment you start lathering your hair with shampoo in the shower or the exact moment you begin using loud yard equipment in your backyard.

It's a fact.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
This is an easy one. He shows up exactly 5 minutes after my wife goes to the grocery store. He is like Sex Panther, 60% of the time, he works every time.

I don't even need to google maps the Fedex station anymore. I know where it is because I always have to drive over there after 7pm.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Former FedEx driver... Here's the breakdown:

First Overnight delivers by 9am
Priority Overnight by 10:30am
Standard Overnight by 3pm

If the driver doesn't meet these deadlines, the station takes a hit and he looks bad.

Pretty sure they're going to be using the Standard Overnight option.

Betelgeuse

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
You can easily put a hold on your package and pick it up at the FedEx terminal if it is BEFORE the van leaves for delivery or after it gets back in the evening.

This is seriously a YMMV situation. I've never been able to have FedEx do this for me (i.e. hold a package so I can pick it up) until after they've tried to deliver. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but it's not always "easy."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.