Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Canada
I found something cool that's made my life a lot easier

This article explains a feature in Quicktime that I never heard of, and was looking for because using the mouse to drag those markers isn't very accurate.

Turns out you can just press CMD+Shift+Right Arrow, then let go of the right arrow key, and it will play normally. When it gets to the part you want, let go of the buttons and the marker will be placed at that point for you

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Nice find, it's always been a bit tricky getting your edit points precise by just dragging.

I hope they keep things like this in Quicktime X, but it's not looking good so far.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Canada
Quicktime X?

Is that a beta they're working on?

I don't know if I want to update, I don't want to update Safari because there are lots of threads about problems with it. It seems apple is losing that "everything just works" touch.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Well, nothing about the new quicktime is set in stone yet, but the the screenshots and discussion of the newest Beta suggest that the editing and encoding options have been drastically reduced.

The only editing function that remains is trimming, which allows you to shorten a movie to a single selected clip. Cut & Paste, splicing multiple clips together, manipulating audio and video separately and exporting in all but Apple formats seem to be gone.

Of course it's not final yet, but it does seem like Quicktime player is being iLifed, instead of being the more versatile tool it used to be.

Check this thread for screenshots and info.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/718998/

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
QuickTime X looks to offer little but a new UI, and Screen Recording. Other than that, it's just QT Pro for free.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Canada
QuickTime X looks to offer little but a new UI, and Screen Recording. Other than that, it's just QT Pro for free.

well that'll suck, I hope they add some feature to to paid version 'cause I paid for it.

I hope they make QT PRO export as Mp3. That seems like a pretty basic function to me, and it cannot do it. . I recently got a song recorded that is 9MB on Disc.

9MB for one song. A song that long should only be rougly 4MB in size, it's over double the size!

The reason it's so large is because I used Audio Hijack Pro to Record audio from the game (there was no other way to get the song, it was unavailable anywhere but in game). It actually recorded as mp3, but the way in which I had to get the song requires a large gap of audio before the song actually starts, and after it ends.

I tried using Audacity, but it would not export as MP3, it said it needed LAME Mp3 encoder, so I downloaded the LAME .pkg file which asked for the password, installed, and didn't work. Audacity wouldn't read the file it installed. I then downloaded another version and attempted to compile it myself in Terminal with the "./configure" "make" "sudo make install" commands, but Audacity wouldn't read that one ether!

I tried mp3 trimmer shareware from some site, and it took forever to start and try to import, so I resorted to quicktime pro. It exported a VERY large file in AIFF Audio format -- and after iTunes tried to convert it, I was left with a 9MB File for a 5 Min song. .

Kinda sucks, it was a bit difficult to survive the game long enough to record the entire song lol.

It's called "The One" and is part of the "Shi No Numa Soundtrack" which is a Zombie Mini game in Call Of Duty: World At War. The song was in the trailer with sound effects from zombies/people/firearms going off. I wanted the actual song, and the only way to get it was to play the game, and find the secret spot that turns it on (for some in-game music). I had to mute everything but the music, hit record, and survive the zombie's for the duration of the song.

Took 3 tries because I was holding them off alone, but I got it.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
9MB for one song. A song that long should only be rougly 4MB in size, it's over double the size!
"Should"? The size of the song is determined by the bitrate the encoder is set to encode it at. Higher bitrate makes for higher quality. You are free to change the bitrate that iTunes uses, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.