Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phadam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Just fixing up the home office and and I am looking to replace the current dry erase board with a new one. I found this image on flikr of a black dry erase board. Anyone know who makes this or where I could get this board from??
I have done some searching but everything I have found so far is not so great looking. Maybe it's the thick aluminum frame on this image that I really like.

Attachments

• 379718207_2cde4cf968_b.jpg
    379718207_2cde4cf968_b.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 674

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
These things are awesome! They do take special markers, though - standard dry erase markers don't show up well.

The nice thing is that virtually every color is easily readable on the black dry erase, even purple and blue. It's a bit like using AutoCAD in black screen vs. white screen mode.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Hmm

I'm tempted to get one of these now...

Does anyone use these to do math?

I think I like the ability of being able to spread mathematical equations across a blackboard, rather than paper...

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
That guy has an awesome setup! I love the chess board on the notebook stand. :D

Hmm

I'm tempted to get one of these now...

I think I like the ability of being able to spread mathematical equations across a blackboard, rather than paper...

Have you thought about chalkboard paint? Paint an entire wall with it, and the entire thing becomes one big chalkboard. You can even paint magnetic paint below it, and then use magnets on it. Really great for people with kids - lets them draw on the wall without any harm!

I wanted to paint one wall of my kitchen with it, so that when we had parties people could leave messages. My housemates were against the idea.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Who would have thought a whiteboard is well...black?

Sounds like something Apple would do. Bet it comes out in aluminum next year and you regret getting the black. :p

So it looks like this when written upon?

restboard_Small.jpg

The effect is pretty great. Apparently there are also these magnetic wet erase boards?

Black_dry_erase_op_800x792.jpg

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Sounds like something Apple would do. Bet it comes out in aluminum next year and you regret getting the black. :p

And when they come out with a new one, they'll also call it the BlackBoard Pro and require you to pay full price for it if you bought one within the past 2 years and everyone will be signing petitions on Twitter and whining about how their BlackBoard is now a collectors edition :p

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
And when they come out with a new one, they'll also call it the BlackBoard Pro and require you to pay full price for it if you bought one within the past 2 years and everyone will be signing petitions on Twitter and whining about how their BlackBoard is now a collectors edition :p

dang what a shady business practice lol

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC

Yep. Back in college I covered a wall of my study with white shower board laminate, which is dirt cheap at places like Home Depot or Lowes. It's pretty nice to have when you're working through the night with other people.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
You had a study while you were in college? Or is "my study" code word for the wall in the dorm room that didn't have a bed or desk up against it? :D

LOL, my freshman year that would have certainly been true. But after that I worked concurrently full time as a software developer, so fortunately I had the cash to get out of the dorms and rent my own place.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
LOL, my freshman year that would have certainly been true. But after that I worked concurrently full time as a software developer, so fortunately I had the cash to get out of the dorms and rent my own place.

Nice! :) I had a very nice apartment with a roommate starting my first year out of college, but I lived in a total hole even after I moved off-campus for my last two years of college. :eek:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Nice! :) I had a very nice apartment with a roommate starting my first year out of college, but I lived in a total hole even after I moved off-campus for my last two years of college. :eek:

Yeah, I lucked out with the job, although between it and school, it didn't allow me much free time. Part of me thinks that if I had to do it all over again, I would have done without the job and allowed myself to enjoy college more. It was the right thing to do financially, but I think I sacrificed a lot of the college experience.

phadam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
That guy has an awesome setup! I love the chess board on the notebook stand. :D

Have you thought about chalkboard paint? Paint an entire wall with it, and the entire thing becomes one big chalkboard. You can even paint magnetic paint below it, and then use magnets on it. Really great for people with kids - lets them draw on the wall without any harm!

I wanted to paint one wall of my kitchen with it, so that when we had parties people could leave messages. My housemates were against the idea.

I have seen that before. A friend of mine has it and uses dry erase markers on it. Not the easiest to clean up but it does work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.