Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Interesting events are taking place in a small Sicilian villages. To quote the author, the village looks increasingly like a set for X-Files. It sure is strange.

—> Link to the article <—

Extracts from the article:

A series of spontaneous fires started in mid-January in the town of Canneto di Caronia in about 20 houses ... An endless flow of scientists, engineers, police and even a few self-styled "ghostbusters" have descended on the town searching for clues to the recent spontaneous combustion of everything from fuse boxes to microwave ovens to a car ... I've seen an air conditioner burst into flames and burn down in 30 seconds. These are not normal events, but I think we're going to have to start looking for a different kind of help, said Antonio Pezzino, whose house was first hit ... From the start, Gabriele Amorth, one of the Catholic Church's exorcists, suspected the devil was at work ... Police ruled out a possible prankster or pyromaniac after they saw wires burst into flames ... The fires have even consumed unplugged lamps and an entire apartment. Black scorch marks still scar the apartment walls...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm confident that they will cause a clear cut reason for these so called "spontaneour fires." It's only a matter of time.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I've been keeping an eye on this one for a while now... Very mysterious. Could be something mundane like a hoaxter, but it could have much more interesting scientific explanations. For instance, magnetic fields of extremely high power could cause things to burst into flame, but I wouldn't think such magnetic fields could be created naturally, or even artificially without creating serious magnetic radiation poisioning... Tesla experimented with not only this concept, but the idea that the electrical energy of the earth can be harnessed if one can "tune" it in, this experiment he did purportedly created the longest electrical arc in the world (51 feet, IIRC)... Could be something like that, an odd distortion in the magnetosphere that's causing electromagnetic friction against the earth itself, localized in this one village...

Or, it could be the devil... which seems to be their explanation...

paul

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Man, that's weird. Assuming it's not an elaborate hoax (which seems really unlikely), it's just got to be something electromagnetic--everything they're describing sounds like massive magnetic fields inducing current and starting fires. That'd explain cel phone and car alarm problems, too.

Of course, the why is a big one--the aurora has been known to dip pretty low, but that'd surely be easily measureable, and if the magnetosphere was that badly out of control it seems like there'd be a glowing sky and plenty of measureable things relating to it.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
a village of 39 inhabitants got to be the smallest of all sicily.

i had never heard of this village, and never happened to pass thru it even when i lived in palermo and my bf in messina ..

in sicily everything is possible. and often you don't want to ask any why's. just live, if you can't, get away.

Dubgeist

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2004
Houston
Maybe the whole town is in on a ploy to bring in a new kind of tourist revenue. I can see it now. Haunted Sicily--Satans Pizza Oven

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
paulwhannel said:
Or, it could be the devil... which seems to be their explanation...

Well If I was Bill and I wasn't the richest man in the world I would be upset too. ;)

Seriously strange though.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
its just some crafty italians who invented this whole story, and are somehow profiting from it.

don't *flame* me i'm italian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.