Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Setiathome what a waste of time. They are searching the 1.42 GHz band, which is the same frequency as hydro and water. I don't know why they are looking at that frequancy. IMO they should off looked at signals closer to what we use. But they cannot because they are used on earth and would cause confusion. Any signal sent in the 1.4 Ghz range would be lost not far from where ever it being sent due to the hard factor of transmitting such a high freq, with a big amplification is very very very difficult and generates tons and tons of heat, and use ton and tons of electricity. So if ET was to send a signal it would probably have been in the same freq range / signal strength we send.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
SETI is also using different calcs now on old data, looking for many other kinds of signals.

Of course the aliens are using AM talk radio, and using the FM for the serious stuff. Unless ... they're truly alien and have that reversed. :eek:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
And back at it with a new MBP--the base model, with 4 GB RAM.

if you can wait a year to reply, so can i :rolleyes:

i have recently started crunching away again with a few more computers (only had my imac 2.8ghz crunching 24/7). now i have added my MBP @ 40%, and my hack/xp machine 2xcpu @ 100% + 1x8500GT 512mb CUDA :)

my average so far for the PC is up to 33, its rising fast. hoping to get near 1000 per day :).

EDIT: up to 120 average atm, still climbing. trying to OC my computer but i think the RAM is screwed.. bugger.

EDITEDIT: yay im the top aussie! on the 1st page now at number 16. lookout 15!

bamf

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
if you can wait a year to reply, so can i :rolleyes:

i have recently started crunching away again with a few more computers (only had my imac 2.8ghz crunching 24/7). now i have added my MBP @ 40%, and my hack/xp machine 2xcpu @ 100% + 1x8500GT 512mb CUDA :)

my average so far for the PC is up to 33, its rising fast. hoping to get near 1000 per day :).

EDIT: up to 120 average atm, still climbing. trying to OC my computer but i think the RAM is screwed.. bugger.

EDITEDIT: yay im the top aussie! on the 1st page now at number 16. lookout 15!
Hey, you made it to #6 now... Woohoo... ;)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hey, you made it to #6 now... Woohoo... ;)

holy crap i did too!!! haha thats about my limit but :( unless i can find another computer from somewhereto help me out. might try to upgrade to an 9800 or something from my crappy 8500 :) money is running very low lately low so ahwell.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
I have joined Seti@Home (angelo95) today with a server running Ubuntu and the following CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz

But I am quite disappointed as this team seems pretty dead, ranked #194 today...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I have joined Seti@Home (angelo95) today with a server running Ubuntu and the following CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz

But I am quite disappointed as this team seems pretty dead, ranked #194 today...

welcome to the club! i stopped quite a while ago, i was getting some nice points but power usage became a problem :( would be nice to get everybody u and running again though.

bildungsroman

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
Poland
BOINC @ home on Lion

Has anyone managed to get the BOINC screensaver to work on OSX Lion? As soon as I upgraded mine stopped working.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Team MacRumors - Distributed Computing Rules

With the recent issues with Folding@Home, I wanted to take the opportunity to clarify something that some people seem to be confused about.

MacRumors does not condone, support or in any way accept practices that go against the project EULAs. If you don't own or have explicit permission to use a machine, don't install F@H/SETI/RC5/etc. on it. Period.

Some people seem to have gotten the idea that our team has been less than ethical in our distributed computing pursuits, and we need to take a stand to prove we're on the up-and-up. Please assist me in this endeavor.

Thank you :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.