Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Thats quite a bummer. I would like to buy an unlocked version but if it goes wrong then you're screwed!

This is true, although I purchased an unlocked version last year and 'touch wood' have not had any issues with it - I think it makes you look after your phone more knowing it will cost you a plane journey to get it fixed!!!

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2007
I think its too much of a risk for me. Even if you look after it and take care anomalies do exist so I can't take the risk of having to fly somewhere to get it fixed.

SiLHUZz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
I would price them competitively, although at a small premium to make it worth my while . I did a similar thing last year with the 3G and found people were willing to pay a little extra to get an unlocked model. Although I wonder how many people will be willing to buy a 3GS this time around?

Of course;) But I wouldnt pay 1000$ like they charge now on eBay and even more.

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2007
I can't believe nobody has found a way to unlock the iPhone. What is so different between the ones in Europe compared to the UK ones? I know you can do a software unlock by jailbreaking it but there must be another way?

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2007
Scenario: Buy European iPhone Unlocked, Buy Applecare in UK for iPhone. iPhone breaks, can I use Applecare or do you still have to take it back to the store in Europe?

Soulful

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
This is true, although I purchased an unlocked version last year and 'touch wood' have not had any issues with it - I think it makes you look after your phone more knowing it will cost you a plane journey to get it fixed!!!

So would you be prepared to buy and mail unlocked phones to the UK and if so at what price??

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Hi guys, is it allowed to talk about jailbreak here ? I'm really not a punk but a few months back I gathered enough courage to jailbreak my phone. I just wanted some themes and it worked great..

Does anyone know if its possible to jailbreak such an officially unlocked iPhone from Italy or France without losing the carrier unlock ?

I'm really sorry if I'm not allowed to talk about this, please don't ban me, just let me know I'll edit my post.

Haha , don't worry, its okay talking about that kind of stuff here. What we don't talk about is illegal activities, such as torrenting illegal things. However, talking about torrenting is perfectly acceptable.
As to your question, sorry, I have absolutely no clue. I live in the USA, and haven't bought an iPhone anywhere else. :eek:

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Scenario: Buy European iPhone Unlocked, Buy Applecare in UK for iPhone. iPhone breaks, can I use Applecare or do you still have to take it back to the store in Europe?

I guess that could work in theory - although an officially unlocked iPhone might stump the UK Apple workers when everything is tied to O2.

godich

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Has anyone here actually been in italy and bought an unlocked phone?

I'm considering going there in a few weeks, but how does it work in reality? Do you have to activate your phone in italy in order to keep it unlocked?
I've heard rumors that if you bring it back home and activate/update it at home it might get locked to your domestic operator, can it be true?

Anyway, I wouldn't mind getting some good advice from someone who tried it with an iPhone 3G before.

Have a nice wait for the 3GS by the way...=)

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
Awesome

I am going on a trip from Germany to Italy in about two weeks. I was just gonna get the new 3gs for 1euro with contract in Germany but I'll just pick it up in italy now.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Has anyone here actually been in italy and bought an unlocked phone?

I'm considering going there in a few weeks, but how does it work in reality? Do you have to activate your phone in italy in order to keep it unlocked?
I've heard rumors that if you bring it back home and activate/update it at home it might get locked to your domestic operator, can it be true?

Anyway, I wouldn't mind getting some good advice from someone who tried it with an iPhone 3G before.

Have a nice wait for the 3GS by the way...=)

It's very easy over there - you just have to find someone that speaks a little english!

Basically, they will register the phone using the TIM/Vodafone SIM that comes with the phone. However, even when I have had to wipe my phone and start again, I can use my Orange UK SIM. The shop I went to last year didn't even bother registering most of the SIM's that came with the handset - they just gave me the phone and said I could do it at home.

With an officially unlocked handset, any SIM should work.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Basically, they will register the phone using the TIM/Vodafone SIM that comes with the phone. However, even when I have had to wipe my phone and start again, I can use my Orange UK SIM. The shop I went to last year didn't even bother registering most of the SIM's that came with the handset - they just gave me the phone and said I could do it at home.

what do you mean "you could do it at home"? what is it exactly you had to do :D?

I assumed that phones in italy come out of the box activated and unlocked, no?

Zobbah

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Here are confirmed iPhone prices in Italy

Facile Apple i-Phone 3G S 32 GB Black 599,17 euro

Facile Apple i-Phone 3G S 32 GB White 599,17 euro

Facile Apple i-Phone 3G S 16 GB Black 519,83 euro

Facile Apple i-Phone 3G S 16 GB White 515,83 euro

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Here are confirmed iPhone prices in Italy

Facile Apple i-Phone 3G S 32 GB Black 599,17 euro

Facile Apple i-Phone 3G S 32 GB White 599,17 euro

Facile Apple i-Phone 3G S 16 GB Black 519,83 euro

Facile Apple i-Phone 3G S 16 GB White 515,83 euro

Source?

According to this, the 32 will be 719€ and 16 619€ :eek:

mitico

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Italy
Those are bundled phones which come with some extras,otherwise prices are 569 32 giga and 499 16 giga

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Those are bundled phones which come with some extras,otherwise prices are 569 32 giga and 499 16 giga

These sound more in-line with what TIM was charging last year for the 3G. Vodafone I believe was around the same as well - although in Belgium they where slightly higher.

Soulful

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
I'm based in the UK, so yes, I would be willing to mail them - price is to be confirmed though.

Excellent...I'm seeing rumors that prices are about 569Euros....for 32GB white version. If so how much would you be willing to sell for and when would you be able to supply?? Some guys on ebay are making excessive profit in my opinion and trying to sell the same for approximately £900!!!

Again if you want you can write to me on enitan@hotmail.com if you want o discuss prices and methods of payment. Cheers!!

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Not sure where you're getting these prices from, I just looked at tim.it, and it says 719 euro for 32gb?

Numbnutz

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
UK
Sim Free Vs O2 Unlocked

Not wanting to detract too far from this thread that I've been following with interest ... but,

If you bought a UK O2 PAY- G 16gb for £440 (or other locked phone), and unlocked it (assuming we could) to run on say an Ornge sim etc, what problems and/or what would you loose doing this rather that getting the Sim Free / against buying a locked tarrif? What does Jailbreaking do and what problems would you have with ITunes and updates and Apps store etc (If any).

I like the idea of what this thread is about very much and would be in the market for one if all is well - but there are trade offs with buying from the EU (like buying one and then returns if there are any problems) but how do these trade offs outweigh unlocking an O2 locked one.

For example, Ornge have offered me a good deal on loyalty, if I get my own phone (O2 iphone PAY- G), and compared to O2 similar iphone tarrifs, after 12 months I'm £100 better off every 6 months. So at 18 months I'm £100 better off and £200 better off in 24 mths - but more so I just don't fancy swapping to O2! So there is a plus point - but what about unlocking, jailbreaking etc - what are the problems - convince me this route is better than O2 PAY- G, or O2 Tarriff etc.

Also, how soon will we be able to unlock the new 3G S?

:confused: Confused ... Me ? ... Never !

knighty

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Believe me, I know how you feel!

As far as I am aware ,the only iphone 3g's that can be unlocked are ones with a baseband of 02.28.00. You can find your baseband in settings - about. With the 2.1.1 update, the baseband was upgraded to 02.30.00 which I don't believe has been cracked yet. All sim unlocks (if possible) require a jailbreak.

That said, if you have the later baseband, there is a way of rolling back the baseband on earlier handsets but not on the new handsets (i think july/aug 08 was the cut off).

Any new 3g handset that is bought has the latest 2.1.1 software and the 02.30.00 baseband and so cannot be unlocked. As for the 3gs im sure apple have tied this up pretty tight too but the clever people that work all this out probably wont be far away from the unlock!

I am personally going to buy the 3gs officially unlocked from italy/belgium/greece as having had experience of the unlock process it is a pain waiting to find out if you can upgrade when new updates/software come out. Even an itunes update can throw a spanner in the works! My phone has also had some wierd problems that im pretty sure are because of the whole process. Some of the jailboken apps are awesome though but from what I have read, a lot of them, the video cam, being able to use the phone as an access point on your laptop are going to be 'officially' on the 3gs.

Hope that kinda helps????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.