Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
hi all

i haven't found this posted here yet and thought this might help some of you too, as this allowed me to activate tethering on my OS 3.0 GM iPhone. my Carrier (Swisscom) doesn't allow tethering yet, but those guys there provide the setting to activate it. now tethering works perfectly. you need to open that link with your iPhone, browse to your carrier (AT&T is listed there) and directly install the profile. works great for me and i'd be really interested if that works for you as well. they have profiles for tons of carriers, mostly europe though, but as said, AT&T is listed as well

http://www.benm.at/help/

logge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
well, works for me me. It installs the protocol and if you want you can just delete it (works the same way with my VPN settings for the University). it just inserts the carrier severdata that you would use for a regular phone.
i found it on the swisscom forum (wonder how long it will take for the mods to remove it) several guys were using it there. this might even be a way to circumvent extra charging for tethering, but i don't know enough about that stuff to be sure

nycbhh

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Has anyone tried this in the US with AT&T?

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
well, works for me me. It installs the protocol and if you want you can just delete it (works the same way with my VPN settings for the University). it just inserts the carrier severdata that you would use for a regular phone.
i found it on the swisscom forum (wonder how long it will take for the mods to remove it) several guys were using it there. this might even be a way to circumvent extra charging for tethering, but i don't know enough about that stuff to be sure

How would you delete it? Just use the settings>general>network>cellular data network>reset settings ?

logge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
no it will be under settings->general->profiles
you probably don't have that profiles option yet, i only got this after i installed the VPN settings for my University. now i have 2 files in there, one for the VPN and one for the tethering and there i can just delete them.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Has anyone tried this in the US with AT&T?

If anyone can say that yes this works can you please tell us how fast you've gotten downloads to go? I know there are speed limits to the 3G and GSM networks, but how fast does it really really run at?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I have not been able to get any of the methods to work to enable tethering :(

I do have a 2G EDGE iPhone and I am not sure if it is possible to enable that option ?

If anyone with an original iPhone has enabled it please let me know how you did it!! :)

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
no it will be under settings->general->profiles
you probably don't have that profiles option yet, i only got this after i installed the VPN settings for my University. now i have 2 files in there, one for the VPN and one for the tethering and there i can just delete them.

but the profiles option would appear once I went to this site and get the settings? is that right?

I dont want this thing to overwrite my settings!

rsbell

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Murrieta, CA
Works!

On AT&T-took a couple of tries to get it paired with my MBP via Bluetooth, but it works and I'm posting this through my tethered connection!

3632815188_7dfc8fbd0a_o.jpg

logge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
but the profiles option would appear once I went to this site and get the settings? is that right?

I dont want this thing to overwrite my settings!

yes exactly the profiles tab shows up, as soon as you have one installed

bensen

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Berlin
it is safe ;) just send me some feedback. im currently trying to insert mms settings into these configs as well.

sh4ners

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Chicago
works fine here.

thank you for finding this nice site. hope they dont turn it off now or charge us more for using it. :|

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
AT&T isnt allowing it because they are currently figuring how to bleed more money out of you. Too bad there isnt an MMS profile yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.